Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best long range cartridge that fits in a Mark V

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best long range cartridge that fits in a Mark V

Tyler, I know you have been lusting for this rifle for a long time. I sure hope it is everything you want it to be when you finally settle in on a cal.

Having met you only once, I saw you are a very ambitious young man with a wealth of rifle/shooting knowledge for your age. I admire that.

Don't know if you know it or not but I spent a good part of my life racing cars for a living. Drove many door slammers over 220 mph in a 1/4 mile. So it is very easy for me to get caught up in the bigger, better, faster way of thinking. I had blown fuel engines making well over 3000 hp. You could pack air and fuel in till the crank was pushed right out the bottom. If you didn't have a good block you were screwed from the start. My long winded point is......... What ever you build make sure you can do it in good brass. In other words... Build it in Lapua or equivelent grade brass, or you will be constantly replacing parts and components. No race is won with a one hit wonder. Consistency pays big in the end.

Jeff
Old 01-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Bronze Member

Well Broz I also raced cars but never at 220. I drove sports cars and the last one I had was a TR-250 which was actually more of a TR5 (English model) but mine had triple weber carbs and a racing cam and bronze lifters. Sucker had a 7 speed transmission (no joke - first, second, second overdrive, third, third overdrive, fourth, fourth overdrive) but I got over it.

Still chosing a caliber that will fit in a mark V has some serious issues to contend with if not a weatherby caliber. First one that comes to mind is the rate of the rifling. Second one is the fit of the bolt to the cartridge. Third one is the bedding of the stock. I have old westhunt do all the bedding for me and my 30-378 is one very nice looking rifle and I have no hesitation at all of shooting it at 1000 yards just like Earl did. Even though there is a 1200 yard course here, there is very little interest in shooting over 400 yards. My 30-378 has a 6.5-20X scope on it and of course I would shoot long distance with the Sierra 240 grain matchking bullet with 110 gr of Alliant reloader 25 and traveling at 3300 fps. That is a dramatic load and a pretty hot load as you can propably guess but the BC and velocity would take care of the long distance and you could easily drop down to a 180 gr bullet that would suffice for normal hunting. This load is very similar to what Earl used.

bob chronister

Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

I understand Bob, I love my 30-378 custom with a 210 Berger. It makes me smile at 1000 yards. But my Mark V custom in .338 Lapua has earned my respect. Watching a white tail doe tip over out past 1100 this year with a 7 mph full value wind sealed the deal for me. And the Mark V action feeds that Lapua round like it was ment to be. Better give Joe Starnes some credit for all this too. He put this rifle together and done it well.

Jeff
Old 01-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

What is the OAL of your 338 Lapua loads Jeff? My 300 Weatherby loads with bullets to the land are right around 4" and aren't even close to fitting in the mag, or even ejecting without pulling the bolt. Did you have any modification done to assist this, or are your bullets just seated somewhat deep?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Kemp View Post
What is the OAL of your 338 Lapua loads Jeff? My 300 Weatherby loads with bullets to the land are right around 4" and aren't even close to fitting in the mag, or even ejecting without pulling the bolt. Did you have any modification done to assist this, or are your bullets just seated somewhat deep?

With your 300 wby and its freebore it is tough to get there. Remember that I load all my standard wbys as long as the mag box will allow and they usually shoot good there. Even the ones shooting Bergers.

My Lapua load has an AOL of 3.720 with the 300 SMK. Joe did some work to make it all work smooth. I know he did something to the mag box I think he lengthened it, ?, I am sure he lengthened the bolt stop a bit and he milled a relief port at the front of the action to allow loaded rounds to swing out. Thia all works great. It will cycle rounds with ease loaded or fired. This was probably not necessary though, all I have needed is one shot..

Old 01-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Bronze Member

drbobc:
What is the proper way to break in a new rifle?
Please advise
Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

I have a 338 Slowpoke (338 Lapua Improved) built on one----just takes a little work on the bolt face.