Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best lightweight 270 WSM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Gold Member

Re: Best lightweight 270 WSM?

Browning A-Bolt II Composite Stalker. (If you can find one). I've had nothing but good luck with them. They have been accurate out of the box, good styling and they just plain fit me.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Bronze Member

I've just about decided to get a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker. It has nearly all the features I want, and I have read very few complaints about it.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
I just bought a 270WSM that I really like so far that sounds like just what you are looking for. I picked it up used off gunbroker.

The guy I bought it from had already had a 2lb trigger kit and Bell & Carlson ultralight stock with the aluminum bedding block. I had my gunsmith (and FFL) I had it shipped to look it over. After it checked out I mounted a 4.5x14 VX3 so I could get to working up loads for a mule deer hunt I have planned this fall. The stock fits me very well and the rifle weighs 7.25lbs with everything but ammo and sling. It should be nice to carry in the mountains.

I got a little time today to start working up loads for it. After sighting it in I shot a .75" group with some 130gr Sierra gameking loads over H4831. I was happy with the accuracy, but wanted a tougher bullet for this rifle once I had it close to zeroed. I loaded up some 140gr accubonds with 62.5gr of H4831 and shot a 3 shot group measuring .46". Without letting it cool I shot 2 more that opened the group to .63". I quit on that one and loaded some more to make sure I can repeat those results.

I've only owned 2 Browning A-bolts, but they have been the easiest rifles to find loads for I've ever had. I haven't tried factory ammo, but they haven't been picky on handloads. The synthethic stalker in the WSM weighs 6lbs 6oz out of the box and then it just depends what you do from there.

Whatever brand you choose, if they make an aftermarket Limbsaver pad for it they are well worth the money. I have one on a 280 A-bolt and it really makes a difference. I also had the 2lb trigger spring kits in both of mine and would recommend putting in a kit in whatever weight you are comfortable with.
The A-bolt repeated it's results off the bench this evening. I touched 2 shots right where they needed to be and saved the rest of the ammo. Next step is to chronograph the load in various temperatures and have a turret built. The rifle also got it's first kill today. I shot a coyote on a rocky slope in one of our pastures, the destruction was extreme. The coyote was facing me at 175yds and the bullet penetrated the length of the coyote and then hit a large rock behind him and did additional damage with the shrapnel. Don't get to see a cloud of limestone smoke and fur together very often.

So far so good.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Silver Member

The Kimber Montanas are very nice and the ones I have shot were accurate. Less than MOA.

Kimber > Rifles > Model 8400 > Montana™

With this gun weighting 6 lbs 3 oz you could come in very close to 7lbs including the scope.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Bronze Member

I have both, a savage stainless with accu stock and accu trigger and a browning A bolt medallion. The browning groups are 1/2 the savage and IMOP the browning is much better looking. Also fits me better. Your choice is right on.