Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best Ideas for Accuracy - FRH vs. SRM type hunters explain their techniques details.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2003, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Ideas for Accuracy - FRH vs. SRM type hunters explain their techniques details.

That's right Brent

Two sighters "at times" and at extreme range to make sure of the scope setting and that the bullet will impact into the animal.

That's the way we do it and that's all I can tell you about the spotter shot/s procedure.

I thought you saw that I had said, two spotters at extreme range like 1500 yards plus?
"NEVER" several spotter shots as you put it.
It usually takes only ONE spotter. Sometimes two at the most.

DC

[ 01-19-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 01-20-2003, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Ideas for Accuracy - FRH vs. SRM type hunters explain their techniques details.

Hey Darryl,

I read the part about the 2 sighters at extreme LR, just don't know why you can't see why I think "a few" sighters would be more accurate, giving a TRUE zero, and sometimes needed and discuss the "why" part about it? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Instead we seem to be in a rut as to its really being zeroed with just one or two shots. I say it isn't, you say it is.

I see where improvement can be made in a big way with a couple more shots, and it's measured in several inches.

. It's quite easy to see at what range the stacking errors get too big to ignore for the size killzone your aiming at.

You decide when to figure it in guys. I think I explained it well enough that you all get the picture. Something else to consider I thought was.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

Hey Brent

To sum this up, more then "two" spotters has "NEVER" been needed, even at extreme longrange. We can be on after two spotters with the optics we have to watch bullet impact.
That's all I was trying to explain to you.

I did talk to one LR group this year in PA and they said the deep snow was hiding the bullet impact and they could'nt see the hits at 1800 yards. They gave up on the buck they were after because in their situation and terrane, a spotter was not possible under the conditions. I would have done the same thing if I could not see a hit on a far off object. I would not have wanted to wound that animal and have it get away.

"You" also bring up a very good point. If you think that more then one or two spotters would be needed to accurately place a bullet in the target area, how would anyone think that a first round hit at extreme longrange (1500 plus) is going to be more accurate and a better way?

Have a good one.
DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 01-20-2003, 08:14 AM
Gold Member

Brent
The story about Rays 1800 yard buck in Colorado With Darrel.

I did pick up a huge 4X4 buck for Ray and set my glasses and tripod close to his rifle where I could click the elevation and windage for him so he didn't have to take his eye out of the scope.

Had another fellow behind us to call the shots also in case I didn't pick up the vapor trails.
Ray wanted a one mile buck or elk kill and this buck was 1800 yards away and just standing there. I ranged the buck 3 times with the Russian laser and the range was confirmed each time.
I set 10 extra clicks of elevation more then what Rays drop chart called for and had him take 3 spotter shots because of the distance. Set the windage as per the shots going in over the buck and then took the 10 extra clicks off and told Ray to kill his buck. He fired and the bullet went straight and true to the shoulder and the buck dropped. He tried to get up and fell down hard and never moved. The buck was dead within a minute after he got hit.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

That's correct Crow Mag

The reason Ray took the third spotter OVER THE TOP of the deer was that he had NEVER killed an animal anywhere near that range and he wanted to be sure of the shot. We as his spotters all agreed especially since we (the other spotter and myself) "did not see" the FIRST spotter shot go in. You must be able to see the spotters and this is not "always" possible everytime.

This does happen from time to time but is not the norm. The suns glare cause the spotter to miss the bullet trail going to the target plus other factors.

This brings up the tecnique we used on Rays deer. Instead of going 100 yards left or right of the animal and on the same level, we sometimes put 10 extra clicks on the scope from the drop chart called for at that range, fire over the top of the deer or elk to adjust for our windage at an object which will impact over the top and BEHIND the animal.
The animal will only look at the impact and have sometimes even walked up and stuck his nose in the bullet hole in the ground.
We then make our adjustments, take the excess clicks off the scope and then kill him.

WE used this techneque on Rays deer and it worked to perfection.

The next or "fourth actual" shot was held dead on the animals shoulder and he dropped.
The bullet impacted "exactly" where Ray had aimed.
In reality, we saw "TWO" spotters go in and made our corrections from those two shots. The first of the three spotter shots, we did not see.

Every hunting senerio has a different twist to it, but the norm for us without a new LR shooter along, is "two" spotters (that we can see) at extreme range. Most of the time one shot will do.

As mentioned before, if you can't see the spotter shot after two or even three shots because of deep or blowing snow or other conditions , we will wait for a better opportunity or give up on that animal entirely.

Later
DC

[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 01-20-2003, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

I'm for one glad this thread got started up. I hadn't given much thought to the Spotter Round Method (SRM) before but am considering try this system. I'd need to switch to a bench setup or something that captures the rifle well anough to allow for the easy and accurate dialing from the Point Of Aim (POA) to the Point Of Impact (POI). Maybe I'll try to re-incorporate this into the bipod and sand sock system (hasn't worked well in the past).

Thanks for the discussion!
Old 01-20-2003, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Dave

It will work even with the bi-pod.

WE use one when we carry our lighter equipment out on far ridges here in Northern PA. The rear bag is fill with "clean" kitty litter for less weight. I have several lighter rifles I call "carry guns" just for this purpose.

Try it, but make "SURE" you have a spotter with you and with a good set of bigeye optics. This is a must.

We have been doing this for too many years to make any suggestions that would not work well for any shooter on this, or any forum.

Using one way or another would depend on the range you are trying. Extreme range the spotter system works BEST for us.

Most times Inside of 1000 yards ---range, read the wind, click and fire. With extreme wind, a spotter shot would be needed here.
Over 1000 yards Range, click, fire a spotter, make your scope correction, if another spotter is needed fire it, make your correction and go right back on the animal ASAP and fire. He will be down and dead.

Later and good luck to all.
DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]