Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

best hunting action question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Bronze Member

best hunting action question

Been looking for a good after market hunting action, has anybody heard anything good about Montana Rifle Company pre 64 clone type action?
Price is good, are they ready to go or do they need alot of work like stock Rem 700 does? How about Dakota 76 action same clone type put spendy any thought? one last thing I see and here good things on Big Horn any thought?

Last edited by KNHOTROD; 03-17-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:43 AM
Silver Member

Re: best hunting action question

I have had 3 rifles built using the MRC actions. 404jeffrey, 375 h+h, and the latest one which is on it's way from the gunsmith, a 338rum. The actions used for my builds were pretty good and just needed a little smoothing (I had all of them in my hands in the white before sending to gunsmith, have 4th sitting in gun vault). In talking to gunsmith and a few others, some of the actions from MRC could be a little rough and need some serious work over yet others were really nice. Would I put these up with the high end actions? No. I like the actions since they are control round feed and have the 3 position safety. Being M70 clones there are lots of aftermarket parts available.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

For hunting, you may want to look at Surgeon or Badger. They produce actions for military applications, so hunting will be a mere pittance to what they are use too.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Remington, Savage, Winchester and others make great factory hunting rifles.

So, what is it you're wanting to accomplish that they don't provide out of the box?

I'm not trying to discourage you. But, you haven't provided many details of the type of rifle or hunting that you want to build.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Bronze Member

Accurate killing at long range distance's, and no problems like a lot of factory guns show in the field. Been there done that many times. When you spend 3g to 7g on a hunt you want no troubles.
The Surgeon line is more bench rest to tight of a action but I see they make the RSR which looks to be more hunter friendly.
Badger seems to only make one and it appears to be to tight too,it does not shows the exact specs as to how tight.

Last edited by KNHOTROD; 03-17-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNHOTROD View Post
Accurate killing at long range distance's, and no problems like a lot of factory guns show in the field. Been there done that many times. When you spend 3g to 7g on a hunt you want no troubles.
The Surgeon line is more bench rest to tight of a action but I see they make the RSR which looks to be more hunter friendly.
Badger seems to only make one and it appears to be to tight too,it does not shows the exact specs as to how tight.
In that case, I would be looking for a smith or maker that I had confidence in and let him worry about what action to use. There are several highly reputable smiths that are sponsors in these forums.

I don't see them hounding people here to make a sale. But, you can find them with some quick searching in these forums. And, nobody here is bashful. So, if they turn out shoddy work, then it'll show up quickly.

It's the guy that assembles it and stands behind his work that'll make the difference.

-- richard
Old 03-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Defiance is known as a good action, cant say first hand. But I shot a 1 3/4 group today , @ 400 yrd. w/300 hybrid, I'm a hunter, so we will see how it works, its smooth That was out of a under 9 # rig