close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best Deer Caliber out to 1K

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Deer Caliber out to 1K

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> is the man asked a simple question about calibers
"best deer caliber out to 1K" , not what rifle , what smith to build it but what caliber.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you again....

Unread 03-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Chris

You wrote;
Rings 145
bases 135
Bottom metal 290
Barrel 350
break 125
stock 425
teflon finish 250
fluting 110
bolt knob 95
jewel 245
recoil lug 25

NXS scope---$1350.00 and now the price goes to $3545.00.

That's where we got the $3500.00 price because that's what it is.

As far as what Ray charged you, I haven't a clue except, I do know what I paid other gunsmiths who build some fine 1000 yard bench guns and I don't have anywhere near $2195.00 in those rifles. Neither does anybody else that I know of, especially if I give them my own action to build it on.

As was mentioned at the start of all this, what caliber for elk out to 1000 yards.
My answer was the 300 RUM in the Sendaro at a price tag of from $600.00 to $750.00.

We are all here to try and help newbies get into the sport of Longrange hunting amd not try to scare him away with guns that cost $2195.00 and then add a $1300.00 scope on it to.
It's simply not needed to kill that big old elk at 1000 yards when a factory rifle will do it nicely as one poster just wrote.

Point is, there are many calibers that will do it at 1000 yards and that's all that should have been mentioned at the start, "JUST THE CALIBER".

Later
DC
Unread 03-07-2004, 03:32 PM

Best caliber for long range deer woudl be .308", if for no other reason than the amazing selection of bullets.
You'll have a better chence at finding one your gun likes to shoot well.
You could easily find a great combo from 6.5mm or 7mm, so more important than caliber is probably horsepower.
Just make sure it has a high BC and a pretty swift start out of the gate.
1k shots wouldn't seem to require as much in the way of immediate follow-up, so the recoil factor isn't quite as much of an issue.
Seems like a Sendero in 300 RUM would fill the bill perfectly.
Unread 03-07-2004, 03:52 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Oh now I see where you were headed..trying to.. umm what would you call it .....identify a fraud, or someone who you think is lying. or whatever..... that's right this "big" guy from Wyoming hasn't killed and Elk or mule deer .. so what would he know about rifles or caliber's right? Well, Mr. Heaton if you remember correctly I have guided numerous people..( I can provide an endless list of names ) which is just like hunting for someone! I have owned and experimented with numerous calibers. Let stop to think a bit.. maybe I haven't been been behind the trigger but I have been there! I have witnessed it first hand. Seeing it first hand is what made me decide to look more into a 300WSM in the first place. I have seen/witnessed numerous other caliber's FAIL at various distances.. caliber's that many swear by...and fail more than once! You don't' always have to pull the trigger to learn about ballistics and calibers...
I have killed whitetail at various distances with a few different calibers...
I have killed a lot a varmints at distances you havn't even accomplished...

Since we are trying to dispell people.. and you seem to be very hell bent on frauding me... we could always ask the questions about what happened to you lest Sept. I have heard so many stories now, about what your excuses' were that I don't know what to believe anymore...

Hey if you don't belive in my abilities show up here in Aug.... I have nothing to hide.. but I'm sure your busy...

I'll be glad to take this off the board if you wish....

[ 03-07-2004: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]
Unread 03-07-2004, 04:28 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> As far as what Ray charged you, I haven't a clue except, I do know what I paid other gunsmiths who build some fine 1000 yard bench guns and I don't have anywhere near $2195.00 in those rifles. Neither does anybody else that I know of, especially if I give them my own action to build it on. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Darryl-- So what you're saying is I got ripped off by Ray? I have a receipt that shows what I paid him($1025), and if you or anyone else pays him less for the same work, maybe I did get ripped....
I know for a fact I could have had the same work done for at least $400 less, but I took your advice that Ray was good and would treat me right... So don't tell me that we should try to help the newbies get started as cheaply as possible, because that rule didn't apply when I was building my Tommy...
Unread 03-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Oh now I see where you were headed..trying to.. umm what would you call it .....identify a fraud, or someone who you think is lying. or whatever. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ric,I ask you a simple question.By you becoming defensive you gave me an answer.I will let it go at that.I think you should have also. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I have killed a lot a varmints at distances you havn't even accomplished <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>WELL!!!!You must have read my Book.The Life and Times of Boyd Heaton to even know at what distance I have killed dem varmits [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Since we are trying to dispell people.. and you seem to be very hell bent on frauding me... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I am not sure where that came from.But what I am doing defrauding <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>what happened to you lest Sept. and why you left everyone hanging when so many were counting on you....? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well Ric,although it is none of you business.I will tell you anyway.The day we were to leave my 3 year old daughter had major nose and throat surgery.And my family is much more important than a hunting trip.But I would not expect you to understand. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Hey if you don't belive in my abilities show up here in Aug.... I have nothing to hide.. but I'm sure your busy...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ric I have seen your abilities [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Ric I am sorry but I can not afford to take the time off work.And I am not willing to give up a bench rest match to watch you try to prove yourself to everybody else..

[ 03-07-2004: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]

Unread 03-07-2004, 05:31 PM

[ 03-10-2004: Message edited by: 338-378 ]