Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best commercial rear bag for hunting ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Gold Member

Best commercial rear bag for hunting ?

Sounds like I'll pass on the monopod idea and settle for a good rear bag.

Just wanted to know which rear bag is best recommended for hunting purposes. I will fill it with those tiny little bean bag beans, polystyrene ? I dont think I can be bothered making one myself as sewing machines and I dont get on !

I have looked at the bald eagle bumblebee bag, but it looks like it has a timber floor, which for hunting would cause me grief on uneven ground. I have not seen any others except the green Caldwell rear bag.

I have never bought a rear bag, so any advice really appreciated.

Many thanks

DUH
Old 01-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

I've been tardy with those bullets, correct?? If you'll stand the postage which may be a bit high, I haven't checked yet, could send you a couple of micro bead bags with them.

A couple of them in conjunction with a bag such as this Cabela's -- Rabbit Ear and Bunny Ear Rear Bags - Non-Filled
which would also be filled with micro beads works very well.

Let me know
Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I've been tardy with those bullets, correct?? If you'll stand the postage which may be a bit high, I haven't checked yet, could send you a couple of micro bead bags with them.

A couple of them in conjunction with a bag such as this Cabela's -- Rabbit Ear and Bunny Ear Rear Bags - Non-Filled
which would also be filled with micro beads works very well.

Let me know
Roy,

Thanks for your kind offer. Do you mean that you have the bag and beads or me to get the bag and get you to send the beans ? I believe it was a thread of yours that tipped me off about the micro beans that hardly weigh anything ??

Weight is an issue so I really liked the sound off it ?

Appreciate your help as I have never had one before.

DUH
Old 01-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

Gunners Gear

D.U.H., take a look at these: Gunner's Gear, Custom Rear Shooting Bags, Ammo Wallets, and Custom Sewn Accessories!. They make some super nice products and can do pure custom work. The bags are PRE-filled with polystyrene beads. Good stuff.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

DUH,

The link to the rabbit ear leather rear bag is one that you can get or may already have. Just replace the sand or whatever with micro beads.

The other two mentioned, two different thicknesses I'll just make up and ship with the bullets. They weigh nothing and in combination with the rabbit ear rear bag can fit most elevation requirements up to about 10 or 15 degrees depending on the "lay of the land".

I'll try to get to the post office and determine the postage on the 338 Bullets if you still want them.

Roy
Old 01-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
DUH,

The link to the rabbit ear leather rear bag is one that you can get or may already have. Just replace the sand or whatever with micro beads.

The other two mentioned, two different thicknesses I'll just make up and ship with the bullets. They weigh nothing and in combination with the rabbit ear rear bag can fit most elevation requirements up to about 10 or 15 degrees depending on the "lay of the land".

I'll try to get to the post office and determine the postage on the 338 Bullets if you still want them.

Roy

Roy,

Sorry if I seem a little confused, but I'm not sure what 338 bulltets you are refering too ? Could you maybe send me a pm with some pics of the bags you refer to ?

Cheers Roy

DUH
Old 01-04-2008, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under Hunter View Post
Sounds like I'll pass on the monopod idea and settle for a good rear bag.

Just wanted to know which rear bag is best recommended for hunting purposes. I will fill it with those tiny little bean bag beans, polystyrene ? I dont think I can be bothered making one myself as sewing machines and I dont get on !

I have looked at the bald eagle bumblebee bag, but it looks like it has a timber floor, which for hunting would cause me grief on uneven ground. I have not seen any others except the green Caldwell rear bag.

I have never bought a rear bag, so any advice really appreciated.

Many thanks

DUH

My rolled up bivvy sac (already goes everywhere I go when I'm hunting, so don't need to pack another item) works very well...as well if not better for me than my fancy leather rabbit ear rear bag. For prone shooting off a bipod anyway.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl