Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best caliber for long range ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Silver Member

Re: Best caliber for long range ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpsman View Post
BS Galore!!
That's what I was thinking lol
Old 07-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

If I only had one choice for a dedicated long range rifle for Hunting it would be close to these
requirements =

Weight would be somewhere between 10 and 12 pounds fully dressed.
Caliber would be eather one of the big 30s (300 rum,300 Rumbo or the 30/378) or a 338 with the
338 rum being the smallest and the Excalibur as the largest.

Bullets would range from the 200 to 250 grain in the .30 and 225 to 300 grain in the 338s.

With the appropriate scope for the intended range.

Even though I own one and love its power and performance, even with hunting type bullets,
The 50 cal is not a hunting rifle and only comes into its own at distances beyond 1000 yards
and with the physical weight required it is impractical and even outlawed is some states for
hunting.

Just my choices

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-25-2012, 11:28 AM

Well stated .
338 s work well all of them the faster the better .
378 weatherby is awesome in it weights the same without kick . Trick of costs is to take a Mark 5 action any caliber used rifle 500 dollars and open the bolt face buy the mag box and leghthen the slide on the bottom of the bolt to allow longer throw and what do you know a 338 /378 or 378 etc for less 1000 and custom bbl , FYI
Best to get a long custom bbl in one of them on a nice light stock.
Don't short money on scopes and repticles .
Bipods are a must.
Muzzle brakes a must as you want horizontal force and no hands up front .
Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Orion2010,

Welcome to the LRH forum. It's amazing how much knowledge and information is available here. A lot of these guys are experts who will gladly help you take your game to a new level.

Of course, it's all relative. Long range for one guy is 500yds using a 22LR. For someone else, it's 2500yds using the 338 Edge +P.

There is nothing at all unfair or easy about using technology such as laser range finders and good optics. To the contrary, it's easy to use a crappy rifle, ammo, scope, and Kentucky windage to lob bullets into a mountainside.

For me, the best long range caliber is the one that gets the job done.

6br, 6.5x284, 7RM, 300WM, 338 Edge, etc... are all great cartridges as are many others.

6.5x284 is my favorite balance of accuracy, range, and energy with minimal recoil.

-- richard
Old 07-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Gold Member

Me thinks Orion is trolling.

And, like always, we get a Cutting Edge advertisement thrown in.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2010 View Post
Well stated .
338 s work well all of them the faster the better .
378 weatherby is awesome in it weights the same without kick . Trick of costs is to take a Mark 5 action any caliber used rifle 500 dollars and open the bolt face buy the mag box and leghthen the slide on the bottom of the bolt to allow longer throw and what do you know a 338 /378 or 378 etc for less 1000 and custom bbl , FYI
Best to get a long custom bbl in one of them on a nice light stock.
Don't short money on scopes and repticles .
Bipods are a must.
Muzzle brakes a must as you want horizontal force and no hands up front .
Help me understand a couple of things.

Is English 2nd language for you? If so what is your home country?

With such limited actual knowledge about military snipers and their equipment I'd encourage you to refrain in the future from commenting on them. It will be less embarrassing.

You might however enjoy reading up on the 375, and 408 Cheytac along with the 416 Barrett.

As for LR no longer being a challenge due to modern Tech, no it's not the challenge it once was, but even the best of modern tech won't place the shot for you or know when to send it much less actually practice the necessary marksmanship skills required to get it done.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Gold Member

Do you know what I love about Len's Longrangehunting.com? There's so much experience, knowledge, great gunsmiths and a big group of great guys here. You can't just jump on here and spout out a bunch of crap without someone with real experience catching it. And everybody is still nice about it. Not like the sniper sites that for sure.