Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best Bino's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Bino's

Looks like I'm odd an out, but I had both Swaros and Leica Geovids. I thought the Leicas had better glass. Sold the Swaros.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym1a View Post
I'm going to get the Swarovski 10x42 EL. Thanks for the help guys. Now, I'd better start saving.

Not trying to confuse you but you might want to hold your horses my friend.

I have 3 Swarovski scopes. They are SPECTACULAR. But I'm still a Zeiss guy. Zeiss makes some AWESOME products. Swarovski is a crystal company, they know how to clarify glass & they make great products around glass.

Zeiss also does an incredible job with glass. Many people in the US not familiar with Zeiss think Zeiss is just a scope maker in Germany. No, Zeiss makes telescopes, electron microscopes, glass for Germany's space program and they make glass for classified German nuclear subs. Making binoculars and rifle scopes is childs play for them.

All that being said, you may find a great deal on a pair of Zeiss Victory 10x42s because Zeiss has launched what many consider to be the hands down brightest & best binocular on the planet. Zeiss Victory HTs. I've seen several websites where you can get great deals on the plain Victory models. In fact I just dropped 2300 bucks on the 10x45 rangefinder binos because they are also about to be replaced by the HTs.

I've always felt and said, picking between Zeiss & Swarovski is a matter of taste. Its like Ferrari vs Porsche they both do 200 mph, do you like italian or german style?

BTW no my wife doesn't know what I pay for binos and scopes. She would probably kill me. Every hunter who loves guns and this kinda stuff has to have a black budget.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Looks like I'm odd an out, but I had both Swaros and Leica Geovids. I thought the Leicas had better glass. Sold the Swaros.

No doubt that the Leica's are good but the eye cups and general layout are not as comfortable to me as the Swaros's....the added fact that there are great tripod adapters for both the Swaro EL's and SLC's pushes them over the top for me.....I also think the Leica's with lazer RF are a major reason why Swarovorski has finally come out with similar products.

Competition is definately a good thing, at the end of the day either Leica, Swarovorski or Zeiss are all vey good products.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

I don't own any of the top brands, but all my friends do. In my opinion, after looking through several pairs of different power Zeiss, Leica, and Swaros, the Swaros are a distant first with the Leicas in second and the Zeiss third. I have not looked through a Zeiss product that compared with Swaro glass including Hensoldt scopes- in my opinion, there are better products for the same or similar price.

Another quality bino that is a great product is the Vortex Kaibab 15x56. Those are sharp, not on par with Swaro, but much lighter in the wallet and will probably be my next bino purchase unless I find a deal on the 15x56 SLC.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 PM

I have used Zeiss Victory 10x42, Leica Geovid 10x42, and Swarovski EL 10x42. The Swarovskis are definitely the best, especially late in the evening. Then the Leicas, which are just a very small notch below the swarovski. And I would say the zeiss comes in third. They are all good optics, but having used all 3 in the past, i would pick swarovski every time.