Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best 700 clone Action for a build ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best 700 clone Action for a build ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
.284??? You mean .308 or .338 right?
Someday soon, grasshoppa....Someday soon. But for now the .280 AI has my complete attention. Plus, I have been designing a few cartridges myself, and if I can get the money to get the reamers made.....I think they might could be a hit. But I can't give any details about them at the moment, until I make myself the proprieter of them, and make them my design.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Someday soon, grasshoppa....Someday soon. But for now the .280 AI has my complete attention. Plus, I have been designing a few cartridges myself, and if I can get the money to get the reamers made.....I think they might could be a hit. But I can't give any details about them at the moment, until I make myself the proprieter of them, and make them my design.
Nice! I'm anxious to hear what you have come up with.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Silver Member

One more action to throw in the pile is a stone stock Remington 700.
I have taken a stock Rem 700, screwed on a match barrel and had it shoot just as well as any custom action so many times I wonder why I even bother with the blueprint process.

I have NEVER seen an accuracy improvement from blueprinting an action....This is to include actions that were later determined to only bear on one locking lug!

This is Long Range Hunting...not bench rest central or 6mmbr.
What matters to those guys has little relevance in our world.
Function is more important than that last 1/10th of an inch in groups.
Speaking of function (or lack there of) I have seen many of the top actions fail miserably with the addition of a little dust or sand while the old Rem700 continues to go bang.

Extraction:
How many million Remington 700s are there?
Out of those how many extractors have failed?
I am coming up on 40 years behind the trigger of a Rem 700 and I have yet to have an extractor problem. I'm not saying they dont happen, but I am saying there are very rare and that many are the result of operator error.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Silver Member

Excellent Thought Im tempted to try that.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-man View Post
One more action to throw in the pile is a stone stock Remington 700.
I have taken a stock Rem 700, screwed on a match barrel and had it shoot just as well as any custom action so many times I wonder why I even bother with the blueprint process.

I have NEVER seen an accuracy improvement from blueprinting an action....This is to include actions that were later determined to only bear on one locking lug!

This is Long Range Hunting...not bench rest central or 6mmbr.
What matters to those guys has little relevance in our world.
Function is more important than that last 1/10th of an inch in groups.
Speaking of function (or lack there of) I have seen many of the top actions fail miserably with the addition of a little dust or sand while the old Rem700 continues to go bang.

Extraction:
How many million Remington 700s are there?
Out of those how many extractors have failed?
I am coming up on 40 years behind the trigger of a Rem 700 and I have yet to have an extractor problem. I'm not saying they dont happen, but I am saying there are very rare and that many are the result of operator error.
I have also had the same pleasent experience with my 700's. Never a single extractor issue. And smooth, reliable, and consistant.

To me the 700 is the standard for all factory actions. The Mark-V and A-Bolt II are right up there in line with it, too. I also own each of those, as well.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

The Lawton actions that I built upon worked very well. Saying that Many known builders were buying them and tuning the action before assembling the rest of the firearm to it. I purchased a lot of 9 actions for a price of $425 and blueprinted them. This is exactly what Lawton wanted the rifle builders to do. Unfortunately many builders shortcut the process and did shotty work for the end consumer. I would much rather buy a $425 Lawton action and trust my own work than buy a $425 700 rem action and tune it. At the end of the day a rem 700 action is a rem 700 action. Even many 338 allen mags were built very successfully on Lawton Actions. I will bet you they were tuned by the builder before assembly. Not really Lawtons fault but the fault and education level of the rifle builder.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:22 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
The Lawton actions that I built upon worked very well. Saying that Many known builders were buying them and tuning the action before assembling the rest of the firearm to it. I purchased a lot of 9 actions for a price of $425 and blueprinted them. This is exactly what Lawton wanted the rifle builders to do. Unfortunately many builders shortcut the process and did shotty work for the end consumer. I would much rather buy a $425 Lawton action and trust my own work than buy a $425 700 rem action and tune it. At the end of the day a rem 700 action is a rem 700 action. Even many 338 allen mags were built very successfully on Lawton Actions. I will bet you they were tuned by the builder before assembly. Not really Lawtons fault but the fault and education level of the rifle builder.
Well, not exactly on many counts.... But hey, we certainly have a difference of opinion.

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"