Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best 700 clone Action for a build ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best 700 clone Action for a build ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Thanks for the info. Sharp looking action.

My knowledge is greatly limited in the custom action realm, as I have never built a gun off of one. The info has been very helpful.

Yeah, it is dern good looking. Too bad it's not for me! This build is for a buddy of mine.

t

Old 05-15-2013, 05:29 PM

The best clone action is a Stiller. Their machining is flawless, and they use PT&G bolts. The PT&G bolt is built with an M16 type extractor, for $930 it comes ready for the smith to build on. It looks like jewelry, beautiful.

If you get a WalMart Remington and take it apart you're starting with a $500 action that needs another $480 worth of work to straighten is out.
When done it's good, but the clone is a bit better for $50 less.

You'll never sell the take-off parts, the mediocre barrel or the hard plastic stock. You see classified adds from people who have whole closets full of take off's "for sale cheap!"

Old 05-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzuki View Post
The best clone action is a Stiller. Their machining is flawless, and they use PT&G bolts. The PT&G bolt is built with an M16 type extractor, for $930 it comes ready for the smith to build on. It looks like jewelry, beautiful.....

I have two Stillers, great action though neither came with nor were offered with an M-16 extractor, both came with a Sako extractor. Is this a new offering?

t

Old 05-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

You can go to Academy and buy a 700 ADL special for $379.99 all day long. And for $450 worth of smithing, that should include truing, bedding, floating, chambering and fitting your new barrel blank.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Gold Member

That Deviant is a fine looking action, and identical to my BAT with the integral lug and integral 20 MOA rail. That is a couple hundred less than I paid Bruno's for my action as well.

Mudrunner, I would bet you would have a darn good shooting hunting rifle when done with the Remy as you described it. I've had a couple done as you described, and both made right around .5 MOA rifles.
My long range varmint rifle was built with the intention of making a .25 MOA rifle for loooooong range varmint shooting. As such everything is custom including a tight neck chamber. I'm not sure if I have a sure-enough .25 MOA rifle, because I am not consistent enough to know. What I do know is that I sure hit a lot more varmints at longer ranges than I have ever shot before.
I hope to improve my skills enough to shoot to the full potential of this rifle.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
That Deviant is a fine looking action, and identical to my BAT with the integral lug and integral 20 MOA rail. That is a couple hundred less than I paid Bruno's for my action as well.

Mudrunner, I would bet you would have a darn good shooting hunting rifle when done with the Remy as you described it. I've had a couple done as you described, and both made right around .5 MOA rifles.
My long range varmint rifle was built with the intention of making a .25 MOA rifle for loooooong range varmint shooting. As such everything is custom including a tight neck chamber. I'm not sure if I have a sure-enough .25 MOA rifle, because I am not consistent enough to know. What I do know is that I sure hit a lot more varmints at longer ranges than I have ever shot before.
I hope to improve my skills enough to shoot to the full potential of this rifle.
Yeah, I just built it (minus smith work, wich should cost me about $450), on Brownells website, and INCLUDING a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 MOAR, I am looking right at 3,500+ smithing. So right around $4K setup, and it should be one nasty rig.

Last night I pulled out the long-rangers out of the safe and was admiring my hard-earned money over the years, and I think I have decided that for a hunting rifle, I will go with a Weatherby AccuMark contour barrel polished stainless with the black flutes. I think that would look sick! But I'm still torn between the AccuMark contour and the Sendero contour. The Sendero contour will shoot great, but is heavier than the AccuMark contour...

I'm leaning towards calling Kreiger and getting an Accumark .284 blank that has been polished with the black flutes, but hasn't been chambered or threaded.....Wonder how much that will cost me? Bet she'd be one slick shooter that would still be light enough for me to tote in and out of the woods...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Gold Member

I've got a Kreiger on the long ranger described above.
My elk rifle is closer to the rifle you just described. It too uses a custom action, Stiller Predator,
fluted #4 Satern barrel, Manners MCS-SL stock, and I have a NF 2.5-10 on it. Scoped it weighs about 8 lbs. Nice carrying gun, and a half-moa shooter. My big game rifles shoot a lot more marmots than they will ever shoot big game, and last years furthest kill was 592 yards.
I did some shooting at 856 and it was still shooting 5".

I have to admit to an absolute lust for a custom sendero type rifle. I have a Cooper 22-250 of very similar build with their varmint contour barrel. With the walnut stock and a 6-24x50 IOR it weighs about 10 lbs. Not a light-weight, but good enough to carry. I believe such a rifle has enough heft and rigidity of components to make a 1000 yard gun.