Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best .30 Caliber Chambering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: Best .30 Caliber Chambering

Since you handload you might want to consider the 300-338 Lapua Improved. With a good action, and 28"-30" barrel, pushing the 230 gr Berger Hybrid around 3200 fps is possible. The brass is more expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you tone it down to around 3100 fps the brass will last a very long time. It is more expensive to go this route, custom dies and reamers, but the end result is worth it IMO. Good luck in your decision and keep everyone posted. Again, welcome to LRH.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 12-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas1234 View Post
Im sorry but when you say hot rodding it are you reffering to shooting fast or shooting fast loads?
Very high pressure loads. Pushing the maximum loads available and further. I'm going to suggest the straight 300 Norma. Uses about 10grn less powder than the RUM, but is just as accurate and deadly with heavier bullets. It's very efficient.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Im sorry but when you say hot rodding it are you reffering to shooting fast or shooting fast loads?
Either.

Top loads and beyond will destroy the throat area and heat crack the living crap out of it ahead of the throat.

In other words, if you try and drive 180's at 3400FPS, which is physically possible, you will have trouble. I have found that if you stick to about 3200-3250 with 180's in 27-28" barrels, life is much better. Both yours and the barrel's

The last 300RUM I hot rodded went to crap in about 70 rounds. A couple hundred frustrating rounds later I threw in the towel. It was awesome for those 1st few though. I have another with 1100 rounds and still going strong. Then again, I run mid range laods.

What I am trying to say is that there is no such thing as a free lunch. If you want a laser trajectory you will have to pay through the nose to get it.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
To me, that means squeezing every last bit of velocity out of it right up to the unsafe pressure point.

If I were you, 300RUM gets the nod, but I would urge you to look at other rounds than the 30 cal. Look that the 7 RUM and the 338 RUM and others like them. Compare real life speeds/bullets on JBM ballistics from these chamberings and weigh the benefits with the obscurity of the rounds and see which are the most important categories you will be willing to sacrifice other categories for.

Michael said it best when he said, "More BC and trigger time." That's the way I see things- if you are in perfectly still conditions all the time, BC isn't as big of a factor, but if the wind is 10mph full value, there is a HUGE difference at range between a 150g bullet fired from a .308 and a 300g bullet from a 338AM and certain bullets/chamberings give you a higher percentage of hitting your target than others. Even more so if the wind is 25mph. Do a little research on these different rounds on JBM's website and decide what you want. Personally, a .243AI with 1:7 twist shooting 117g Matrix Ballistics bullets, and a 338RUM battery is perfect for me, for now. Eventually, add a .375Allen Magnum and some other junk, you know how it goes. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Your cost difference is minimal if any between a 338 RUM and a 300 RUM, anything that ends in RUM almost has to have a good brake IMO.
Why do they require a good brake?

Corey
Old 12-27-2011, 01:58 PM

300 saum
Old 12-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare View Post
Why do they require a good brake?

Corey
The powder consumption goes up drastically over WSM's or most belted mag cases therefore considerably more recoil. For example a .300 Win. uses in the 70-75grs of powder range for heavier bullets and a .300 RUM uses from the upper 80grs to mid 90grs. It's also why they burn up barrels faster. That's why I shoot a .30-8mm Mag instead of a .300 RUM. It's about midway between a .300wm and a .300 RUM for velocity. I shoot 210gr bullets at 3100fps out of a 27 1/2" barrel using 76grs of powder.