Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bertram brass sticking in shell holder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Silver Member

Bertram brass sticking in shell holder?

I got some Bertram .338 edge brass which I really like except for almost half of them are almost impossible to get in my rcbs shell holder. The rim appears to be a little too thick. Anybody else having the same problem? Any quick easy remidys? I tried sandpaper and a file without much luck.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Bertram brass sticking in shell holder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helidriver72 View Post
I got some Bertram .338 edge brass which I really like except for almost half of them are almost impossible to get in my rcbs shell holder. The rim appears to be a little too thick. Anybody else having the same problem? Any quick easy remidys? I tried sandpaper and a file without much luck.
Well, the .338 Edge uses a .404 Jeffery as a parent cartridge, same as the RUMs which use a standard magnum shellholder (RCBS #4). So I would contact Bertram and see what they have to say.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

I have loaded some of the new EDGE brass I got from DE using a Redding shell holder with no problem. Maybe try a different shell holder first.

Jeff
Old 10-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it's the fact that half slide in easy and half won't go in at all so there's obviously some variance there.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

A number 43 is just a touch bigger, I use it on WSM's and RUM's if there on the tighter side.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Bronze Member

I also use a redding shell holder with the bertram edge brass with no problems.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

Helidriver,I just got through fully prepping 100 Bertram brass which included squaring or trueing case heads and neck turning. I learned some interesting details about the Bertram brass.

#1-- The case diameter is larger at the web, .5475 to .548 compared to RUM brass at .545 and .404 Jeffries @ .542.I don't understand why they would make it larger?? If your reamer is a custom tight reamer there could be issues but most likely not.

#2-- The reason they don't fit some shell holders is the extraction grove is not cut the same shape or depth as RUM brass. A Lyman #5 worked fine for me as would a RCBS #43.

#3-- The case necks were between .0015 and .0025 thicker from one side to the other which is similar to the average RUM brass. The finished neck thickness was about .001 thicker than RUM brass.

#4-- The case heads were the closest to being true or square of any brand of brass I've ever prepped and I've done close to 30,000 pcs. in the last 20 years.

#5-- The texture of this brass while neck turning is much different than any brass I've turned before. It was tough to get a clean cut with no lines. Might be the difference in alloy that is giving better case life?

Just a few observations from my first contact with the new .338 Edge, Bertram Brass.-- RHB