Originally Posted by Broz
I use the accubonds too and like them for some rifles depending on it's use. But for hunting that may include a long range shot over 600 yards I really prefer the Bergers for the same reason you mentioned. As for the exploding at ranges below 400. Don't tell the Elk in my signature this, or the two axis, nice Muley, two whitetails, Black Buck or Aoudad Ram I took with them all in 2007. I can honestly say to you, the VLD's have served me with out fail and I have never tracked anything I used them on.
Why not use both?
These are the two bullets I carry and use in the field, provided I can get an accurate load for long-range shots with the Berger VLDs. The Nosler ABs are chambered and carried in the magazine for shots from the muzzle out to 4-600 yds. The Bergers are chambered in place of the ABs for the really long stuff.
The advantage to the Bergers: higher BCs to reduce wind drift, and to maintain the highest possible impact velocities (to help ensure on-game bullet expansion).
The Nosler Accubond is a very dependable bullet for shots from the muzzle out to 4-600 yds, where retained velocity is more than adequate to ensure on-game bullet expansion. Accuracy requirements aren't as critical at these closer ranges, and it's relatively easy to develop an accurate Accubond load sufficient for the close to mid-range shots.
If a really long shot presents itself, you'll almost always have plenty of time to swap the Bergers into the chamber. In fact, I load the VLDs single shot style when engaging long range and it's never been a handicap.
I spend 80% of my hunting load work-up time in an effort to perfect the long range load. The other 20% is developing an adequate closer range bullet/load, and almost any bullet will be accurate enough for the closer shots.
Sounds like Broz has been proving the Berger VLDs capable at closer ranges too.