Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Berger VLD Hunting and Target Diff?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Gold Member

Berger VLD Hunting and Target Diff?

I want to start figuring out a load with the berger vld's for my 7mm rem. I cant find any hunting vld's in 168 gr but I found some target 168's. Will they shoot the same? I wounldt try hunting with them just for load work for now.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:37 AM
Gold Member

Re: Berger VLD Hunting and Target Diff?

i have shot the hunting and target VLD's interchangeably and have not noticed a difference.

i also, gulp, shot 2 deer with the target vld's this year because hunting vld's were sold out
one at 60yds, and one at 476yds, and the deer sure couldn't tell the bullet that hit them was for targets.

i've heard the only difference in the two is jacket thickness, but I'm sure there are others on this site that will have more informed info.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:20 AM
Gold Member

Alright well I guess Ill go pick em up tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Gold Member

ovastafford dont be afraid to buy the target bullets and use them for hunting. The hunting bullets i belive is supposed to have a thicker jacket but who knows. I have shot deer out to 580 yards with the target bullets and a good friend of mine has shot them out to 960 with the target bullets and we have never lost a deer that has been hit with one. Most of them dont go 50 yards. In fact my friend says that he is not going to switch to the hunting bullets because he has had so much success with the target ones. I think the only reason berger come out with the "Hunting" bullet is to stop all the critics from saying its not ethical to use a target bullet for hunting.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Gold Member

The "Hunting" bullets are Berger's standard line of bullets that they have been making for years, the "Target" bullets are a more recent addition to their line and have THICKER jackets, these were built to answer the problem of their traditional bullets coming apart at high velocity when fired in large capacity "overbore" cartridges. Since these newer bullets have thicker jackets, Berger has not recommended them for hunting.
Dave
Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds like the target bullet is the way to go.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
The "Hunting" bullets are Berger's standard line of bullets that they have been making for years, the "Target" bullets are a more recent addition to their line and have THICKER jackets, these were built to answer the problem of their traditional bullets coming apart at high velocity when fired in large capacity "overbore" cartridges. Since these newer bullets have thicker jackets, Berger has not recommended them for hunting.
Dave
i knew it was something like that. Just was not completly sure.