Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Berger VLD bullets on Moose - will it work??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Berger VLD bullets on Moose - will it work??

I've heard of some folks saying that the Bergers almost explode in mid air if pushed faster than 3,200 fps.... I don't know how true that is, but my .257 Wby Mag is pushing the 115 VLD's at 3,300 and they're still hitting the target. So, I'm not sure about them "exploding" in mid air as soon as they leave the muzzle.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I've heard of some folks saying that the Bergers almost explode in mid air if pushed faster than 3,200 fps.... I don't know how true that is, but my .257 Wby Mag is pushing the 115 VLD's at 3,300 and they're still hitting the target. So, I'm not sure about them "exploding" in mid air as soon as they leave the muzzle.
I think that applied mainly to 3 groove barrels in up to 7mm calibers when pushed hard. I'm using a 6.5 3 groove barrel with no trouble but I'm only running <3000'sec.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
I think that applied mainly to 3 groove barrels in up to 7mm calibers when pushed hard. I'm using a 6.5 3 groove barrel with no trouble but I'm only running <3000'sec.
So, we don't really have to worry about that now, correct?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I'm not a VLD expert but the only time I've ever heard if VLDs dusting was with =<7mm calibers pushed really fast from 3 grove barrels due to too much jacket displacement from the wider lands. They're twice as wide as the lands in 6 groove barrels. Some stated that it only started happening after the throat eroded a bit. Makes sense.

Other than running fast in a 3 groove, I've never once heard of any problems.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Silver Member

North Dakota bulls generally aren't as large as the Canadian counterparts. You probably will have a fairly close shot as well. Every moose I have seen in ND has just sat there and stared at me or even ignored me. The killing part should be the easy portion. It just comes down to finding one. What unit were you lucky enough to draw? Have a buddy that has one in the bottoms by Williston.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I've dusted that bullet in a 25 RUM at MVs over 3800 fps. Only shot about 15-20 bullets, and when several never reached the 100 yd and 300 yd target, I realized I needed a different bullet at those speeds. Barrel is a 29" stainless Hart, 6-groove.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

FWIW I shot the 115 VLD's from my 25-300 WBY from a 28" Shillen 1 in 10 with a MV over 3650 and it shot .5 moa from a light contour tube. This rifle was and is still used for jumping white tails with a dead hold to close to 400 yards. But I will tell you this, keep it in the slats if you want meat..

Jeff