Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Berger VLD bullets on Moose - will it work??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Bronze Member

Berger VLD bullets on Moose - will it work??

I got lucky and drawn and once in a life time ND Moose tag. The concern Iím having is with bullet selection. Iíll be hunting with a 7mm STW, the best load ďand only load I developedĒ is using a 180 grain VLD-H Berger. Since this load shoots lights out (3150FPS, 1 inch groups at 250 yards) I would hate to switch loads unless needed.

Of course shot placement is key for any bullet. What your thoughts or experiences using these bullets on Moose, or any game similar to Moose? Thank you...
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 PM

Re: Berger VLD bullets on Moose - will it work??

You will have no issues with that projectile.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

If you can keep them in the ribs I'd proceed with caution. Any other shots may be suited for a more durable bullet. I've not had positive experiences with moose and bullets not of the ACCUBOND or Barnes variety when other than perfect broadside shots were needed.

It's a once in a lifetime hunt for a large heavy boned mamal. The fact that you even asked shows at least a small amount if doubt in your mind. Doubt has no place on a once in a lifetime hunt. Do yourself a favor, choose a projectile which eliminates the doubt.

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 PM

You are sub MOA at 250 yards with the load you have now. That round will carry more than enough energy to take down large game up to if not more than 1000 yards. I would not change a thing. The VLD's are good bullets and its all about shot placement.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

I would listen carefully to Michael. mine did not make it though a bighorn. you are sending over 200 fps faster too. mooses are thicker and heavier than a bighorn and a bigger target. i would use a partition or a accubond or a tsx.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Gold Member

I have two Elk down with a 300 Wby no issues 190 grn Vld. If you are, looking for a pass through shoot Barnes if you are looking to dump energy into the animal Bergers work great. As a side I have two moose, Canadian and Alaska Yukon down with 300 Wby and 180 grn Swift Siraccos. I would not hesitate to shoot Bergers For the smaller species you should be just fine and will probably be able to close some distance.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

I've never used one on Alaskan moose, and never plan to. The primary advantages to a Berger VLD is their target grade accuracy and high BC for long range hunting - where retained long range energy and velocity, reduced wind drift, and pinpoint accuracy are required.

The kill zone on a moose is huge, and you're unlikely to need any of those bullet properties to kit the lungs. You shouldn't need to worry about shooting 1" groups at 250 yards on an animal the size of a moose. Unless you purposely intend to set up for a 500 plus yard shot, I would shoot something like a Nosler Accubond or Partition or Nosler's all copper bullet. Or a Swift Scirocco or A-frame. Even a Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, or some other bonded lead core bullet. Or you could go lead free with a Barnes TSX. These bullets are all reliable killers under 500 yards, and if you do happen to hit a meaty or muscular area, they'll damage less meat and help ensure more reliable penetration to the vitals.

If you do decide to hunt with the Berger VLD because you're married to them, or your expect, or plan on, a 500 plus yard shot, I recommend waiting for the perfect broadside exposure, and then punch it into the lungs just behind the front shoulder muscles. He'll probably run 50 yards, certainly less than 100, stop and lower his head while losing strength, and then bed down or collapse. Alaskan moose don't seem to go down as if struck by lightning unless their hit in the head, neck, or the spine. But they don't go very far when double-lunged with a sharp broadhead or an expanding bullet.