Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

berger and no expansion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM

Re: berger and no expansion?

I understand that the bullet penetrates a couple of inches then fragments. I should have taken pictures with the hide still attached. This deer was shot at a 30 degree angle which could be why the entrance hole looked so big. I have full confidence in this bullet. My rifle loves them and I havn't put anything else down the tube. I probably won't either. I was just trying to gather if my results were the "normal." I'm sure what Eric explained about tearing and blowback is what happened in my situation. Like I said before I was just curious because I have never seen an entrance hole that big in an animal.

I just went and took some pictures. After examining the entrance hole it doesn't look as big as it did on the animal. I guess alot of the hide was pushed into the animal?

The bullet definately did it's job! It pulverized the lungs and detached the heart from the rest of the organs. I am in know way bashing this bullet. I have had great support via emails with berger and the fact that eric is on here shows how good this company is.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
berger and no expansion?-dsc_0019-copy.jpg   berger and no expansion?-dsc_0018-copy.jpg  

berger and no expansion?-dsc_0016.jpg   berger and no expansion?-dsc_0015.jpg  

Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 PM
SPONSOR

Riverscout,

I appreciate your comments and kind words. For the sake of clarification, my comments aren't meant as much for you directly but rather for the many people who read these forums. You brought up a situation that is likely faced by some others who don't post so I wanted to take the opportunity to address your situation.

I take no offense and frankly I appreciate it when shooters share their experiences good or bad. The good experiences help others know what to do and what to expect while the bad experiences help us know what to address and fix. Both are useful.

Regards,
Eric

Berger Bullets
Old 11-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

I was able to take a large elk in MT 2 weeks ago. .300WSM shooting 190 gr Berger VLDs. I have a Huskmaw scope on the gun. Dialed it to 400 yards. Put the crosshairs just behind the shoulder squeezed the trigger and down it went. It rolled down hill about 75 yards and stood up. Once I found it in the scope I could see it was swaying and wobbly. The guide said, hit him again. So I put another round just behind the shoulder again (same side) and down he went. When we gutted him the hole were about 4 inches apart. The top of the heart and great vessels were shredded. The Berger bullet preformed exactly as advertised. The Huskmaw scope worked perfectly as well. Bergers and Huskmaw make a deadly combination.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Bronze Member

I have seen three coues Whitetail taken with the 30 cal 215 hybrid. 186, 566 and 575 yards. All were pass thru shots. The 186 sucked the heat and lungs out the exit hole. all other exits were 1.5 to 2" exit holes. Arizona Elk tags at the end of this month! will report on the performance when I get home.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:49 PM

I just experienced that same problem. Today is 12/23/12 and I shot and harvested a cow elk yesterday. I reload my 300 win mag to the following specs. Winchester brass, CCI primer, 73gr H4831, with the Berger VLD Hunting 168gr. I took the elk from 450 yards and hit it at the 3rd rib. It passed through the lungs and never passed through the other side. As I was skinning the cow I found it under the skin. I have the bullet now. I can send pics if anyone wants to see it. It never expanded. It looks almost new. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by styngray32 View Post
I just experienced that same problem. Today is 12/23/12 and I shot and harvested a cow elk yesterday. I reload my 300 win mag to the following specs. Winchester brass, CCI primer, 73gr H4831, with the Berger VLD Hunting 168gr. I took the elk from 450 yards and hit it at the 3rd rib. It passed through the lungs and never passed through the other side. As I was skinning the cow I found it under the skin. I have the bullet now. I can send pics if anyone wants to see it. It never expanded. It looks almost new. Am I doing something wrong?
This is my first year using berger bullets. I was using 168 VLDs with a 300 win mag on a Moose at 425 yards. The bullet shattered his front shoulder and he fell down. Had to shoot him at close range to finish him off. I was shooting these bullets all summer out to 800 yards and was impressed by how they work. I have done lots of reading and was going to load some 210 VLDs with H1000 powder. I am not sure what to do now with all the posts of no expansion. I like the bergers but might switch to something else.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by styngray32 View Post
I would like to see the pics. Please email them at rjd28@live.com Thanks!!

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755