Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

berger and no expansion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: berger and no expansion?

I have had excellent performance, results, and reliability with my 168 berger Hunting VLD's. Now I will say that in 09, two deer we shot with my 25-06 using 115 HUNTING VLD's, had a total of 5 rounds go through the rib cage of two diff deer with zero noticed expansion. All were pass through's, none had exit wounds larger than entrance. simply looked like they were stabbed with a long round dagger.

I still have 2+ boxes of the same lot of thos bullets that I have, unfortunately, stopped loading. I assumed I may have received a bad lot, or possibly mislabeled target loads.

PS the one deer scored 192, we have the shots and the deer's reaction on Video. Still LOVE my 168's though, which I load for 4 guns, so NO bashing here.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

The reloader needs to make dang sure they don't damage the tip when seating the bullet and then you have to also make sure the tip does not get damaged from recoil in the mag box or packing them in a box. I've managed to catch all of the above things which does not translate to bullet issues.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:30 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkondeff View Post
I will say that in 09, two deer we shot with my 25-06 using 115 HUNTING VLD's, had a total of 5 rounds go through the rib cage of two diff deer with zero noticed expansion.

I still have 2+ boxes of the same lot of thos bullets that I have, unfortunately, stopped loading.
Bkondef,

Please email me directly at eric.stecker@bergerbullets.com and refer to this thread. I'd like to get those 25 cal bullet back from you so we can test them. I'm not sure if you are saying that you don't load 25 cal anymore or don't load the Berger in 25 cal anymore. Either way we can get you more 25 cal or 30 cal to replace the bullets you have that didn't open up for you.

Regards,
Eric

Berger Bullets
Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Silver Member

Eric,

Your actions speak volumns of your confidence in your product. I do not shoot any Bergers. (yet!)
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peashooter View Post
Eric,

Your actions speak volumns of your confidence in your product. I do not shoot any Bergers. (yet!)

Plus one on that!! BUT.... I have two problems with Berger (and that is ALL I shoot , by the way).

One....you guys are making life for people like me A LIVING HELL You know the type....TINKERITIS ERECTUS!! Just when I find THE load for a BBL.....BAM...ANOTHER NEW BULLET TO TEST!!

And two, I shoot lots of LR comp. I have met and visited with all of the Hornady guys many, many times....great guys!!! I have met and talked to Rich form Sierra many , many times...again, another great guy!!.. But I have yet to meet anyone from Berger. I need to met more great guys!!!

HMMM....when reading that back it sounds a little...er...ahhh...gay. NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:53 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
I shoot lots of LR comp. But I have yet to meet anyone from Berger.

HMMM....that sounds a little...er...ahhh...gay. NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT.
Thank you for the kind (and funny) words and I apologize for our inability to step away from the chalk board. We too suffer from "TINKERITIS ERECTUS".

Which LR competitions do you frequent? We have Michelle Gallagher and Bryan Litz who regularly attend LR High Power matches.

We also have a number of "Berger by proxy" shooters at Tactical and LR BR matches. They aren't employees but are long time shooters and testers of our stuff.

Regards,
Eric

Berger Bullets
Old 10-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
Plus one on that!! BUT.... I have two problems with Berger (and that is ALL I shoot , by the way).

One....you guys are making life for people like me A LIVING HELL You know the type....TINKERITIS ERECTUS!! Just when I find THE load for a BBL.....BAM...ANOTHER NEW BULLET TO TEST!!

HMMM....when reading that back it sounds a little...er...ahhh...gay. NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

+1KKKKKKK

OOHHH whats this!?!? a new bullet must test must test.....................damn need new barrel
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe