Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

berger hunting/target bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Gold Member

berger hunting/target bullets

Has anyone shot same weight bullet/caliber for both of these? I was wondering if you loaded some target bullets, if you could use same data for the hunting bullet? I just got a bunch of target bullets for dirt cheap.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: berger hunting/target bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesthunter View Post
Has anyone shot same weight bullet/caliber for both of these? I was wondering if you loaded some target bullets, if you could use same data for the hunting bullet? I just got a bunch of target bullets for dirt cheap.
I have shot both in my 6.5x284's. In the 140VLD the weight and BC is the same. They also shoot the same. I have heard that the jacket of the hunting bullet is thinner as to give better expansion characteristics.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

I know the 7mm 180's and the .308 210 VLD's do. Done it many times.

Jeff
Old 02-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesthunter View Post
Yup, been there, done that. Ordered some Berger 168 VLD orange box bullets last spring. When I went to pick them up, they were yellow. I took them anyhow, and he got me the correct ones. When they arrived, I loaded and tested them against the match bullets. They shot the same. P/ S, don't accidentally take them hunting with you like I did. I took some on a crop damage hunt last summer, and had to track one over 4 hundred yds. And that was just to see what the damage was, and why it ran so far. Then the light came on, and I realized that I had brought some of the first batch which was the match bullets. Take care and enjoy!
AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. 7STW
Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I have shot both in my 6.5x284's. In the 140VLD the weight and BC is the same. They also shoot the same. I have heard that the jacket of the hunting bullet is thinner as to give better expansion characteristics.
I dont think what you heard is right about the jacket of the hunting vld being thinner.
I cross sectioned a target vld and hunting vld to compair and the jacket on the hunting vld is slightly thicker but has a much more pronounced air pocket/void at the tip.
The target vld has a small open space kinda like a match king but the hunting vld is like 4-5 times greater open tip space.
Maybe this must help with the more consistent opening/fragmenting abilities? Id like to do some ballistic comparisons with them in the very near future.

Ill see if I can post some pictures of the cross sections I did so you can see the difference
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay View Post
I dont think what you heard is right about the jacket of the hunting vld being thinner.
I cross sectioned a target vld and hunting vld to compair and the jacket on the hunting vld is slightly thicker but has a much more pronounced air pocket/void at the tip.
The target vld has a small open space kinda like a match king but the hunting vld is like 4-5 times greater open tip space.
Maybe this must help with the more consistent opening/fragmenting abilities? Id like to do some ballistic comparisons with them in the very near future.

Ill see if I can post some pictures of the cross sections I did so you can see the difference
Thanks. I would be interested in seeing the pictures if you can post them. I can't remember where I heard that the jacket was thinner, I think it was on this site.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

The jackets on the hunting are the original thickness, the target is thicker to take the velocity and extended rate of fire in a match.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"