Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Berger Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 12:30 AM

Re: Berger Bullets

I shoot the Berger 140 VLD out of a 6.5x.284 and they are excellent! They buck the wind very well and deliver a fatal blow on a very consitant basis.I've had great results with them up close,as well as out to distances of 600-800 yards.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Berger Bullets

I shoot 180's out of my 7STW. I've killed game from ground hogs to elk with this combo and couldn't be happier.
As said above, "short range effective and messy, long range effective and less messy"

My rifle is a carry weight rig and I am not a dedicated long range hunter. I like to cover ground and stalk my quarry but have the equipment, knowledge and skill to reach out there if that is the shot that presents itself.

Last fall I killed an antelope at 630 yards broadside behind the shoulder. She was dead within 15 yards. Vitals were jello exit wound the size of my fist.
A week later I killed a mature bull elk at 75 yards quartering toward me at a trot. Offhand shot through the point of the near shoulder. Bullet penciled through the bone then absolutely shredded the vitals, no exit. The bull face-planted at the shot and didn't get up again.

I've killed several deer, antelope and elk between 250-600 yards. High shoulder, behind the shoulder and neck shots. All DRT.

I have always used premium hunting bullets (partitions, accubonds, etc) and was hesitant to switch to the berger because I know the way I hunt short range shots are on the menu. My results so far have been nothing but positive.

To say I'm confident with this bullet would be an understatement.