Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Berger bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2007, 01:43 AM

Re: Berger bullets

Guys

Thanks again for the input. I did talk to Berger on this issue and they dont see a problem. They have been good to deal with and very helpful.

Having said that, I came here for some additional input, because as much as I appreciate the comments from Berger, I also value first hand experience from those with the results of using Bergers on game under their belt.

Just for the record, I will be hunting mainly springbok (pronghorn sized antelope) and gemsbok (elk sized antelope). The countryside sounds like its very flat and open. Based on discussion with someone who hunted the same area last year, it seems unlikely I will get many shots under 300 yards. However, I will also take my 9.3x62 which will be loaded with bonded core bullets. This is the rifle I will be carrying with me day-in day-out. If I do happen to get a close shot, this is the rifle I will have to hand and the rifle I will be using.

Also, the reason I am thinking of the 190gn bullet is because my barrel is a 1/12" twist and I doubt it would stabilise a heavier bullet.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] i'll shut up now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Dave your points are valid,and I have experienced the same as well and don't think that Africa is the place for marginal bullet performance and the pobability of long range shots (as defined here) are not likely,I personaly would go with TXS and never look back.
I am not saying that you will experience a problem with the Bergers,but as Dave pointed out you might........ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Silver Member

Fergus Bailey
I wish I were going

You can knock a Springbok over with a spit-ball even the kalahari SB, It's the Gemsbok that can take a beating. With that said I hammered 2 Gemsbok with a 165 NBT out of a 300 win. just over 300 yards. I don't think the 165 is any tougher than the Berger. In that country (desert area) you should be able to take your time and pick your shots, stick it through the lungs and have at it. Some PH's over there will let you shoot LOOOONG. I would hold back a little on the Springbok it is easy to waste a cape with a shoulder shot.

If you dont have it, see if you can get a copy of the perfect shot Africa. The book shows ghost photos of animals and how they carry their vitals. You mentioned Springbok and Gemsbok, I take it you are hunting the Kalahari?
Old 04-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

Something to think about, I have not been to Africa myself, but several of my friends have and they all say that when you come into the country over there, their authorities check to make sure the caliber stamped on the barrel matches the caliber stamped on the head of the cases. Does anyone else know anything about this and how it would effect someone taking a wildcat such as the 308 baer??
Old 05-01-2007, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you dont have it, see if you can get a copy of the perfect shot Africa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I take it you are hunting the Kalahari?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Its new territory for me, so I'm really looking forward to it!
Old 05-01-2007, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Something to think about, I have not been to Africa myself, but several of my friends have and they all say that when you come into the country over there, their authorities check to make sure the caliber stamped on the barrel matches the caliber stamped on the head of the cases. Does anyone else know anything about this and how it would effect someone taking a wildcat such as the 308 baer??

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a lot of reference to this checking, but I do not know of anyone that has actually experienced it.

I have several trips to Africa and have not had a problem. Going in and out of Zambia they did count the number of rounds in addition to checking the rifle serial number. Generally they are more concerned with the serial number matching the permit.