Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

berger in brush country

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: berger in brush country

I guess I was fixated on expansion because some of the high speed videos and dramatizations show Berger bullets fragmenting rapidly on impact. But, I'm guessing it takes a fairly solid hit to trigger that effect. (water jug, ballistic gelatin, deer, elk...) Would a small twig do the same?

In any case, deflection far ahead of the target would certainly be more of a problem than just in front of it.

I guess I'm still wondering how much effect weed tops and grass might have such as prone shooting in relatively flat country and how much you need to worry about a clear loophole.

thanks!
Richard
Old 01-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Gold Member

In my opinion (which is just that!) I think deflection is more likely than the bullet expanding or "blowing up". However, if you hit a large enough twig it certainly could happen.

That is one of reasons I typically shoot off a tripod for my front rest with shooting sticks or a bipod at the butt end of the stock. I sit either on my butt or short 3 leg stool. This gets me above small grass and such.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting.
I never thought about using a bipod at the butt stock.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

I hunted in the alders alot and I used to pack prem. bullets, usually barnes, and my long accuracy load. I am of the school bigger is better also, up to 300 gr.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Silver Member

My rule of thumb has always been only take clean shots. It's really a pretty simple concept.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Hntbambi,
Quote:
My rule of thumb has always been only take clean shots. It's really a pretty simple concept.
Thanks for the valued feedback and I hear you loud and clear. But, what are each of us comfortable with in terms of a *clean* shot?

...50 yds, bench/sandbags, no wind, no dragon flies in the air

There are a lot of situations ranging from target practice to high dollar trophy hunting.

With targets, you have the opportunity to setup the shot as you like.

If I run up on some wild hogs, I'm taking the shot even if there is some interference (provided that there's no safety concern ...for humans anyway). Those things are a huge pest here.

I tend to be a lot more conservative with other game.

Even so, terrain and situations vary from NM pronghorns to Cape Buffalo.

Then again, you have law enforcement, personal defense, and millitary applications where you might have to shoot through glass or something.

The feedback has been all good. And, I've searched around and found some ad hoc studies, but nothing definitive/scientific. I guess the number of variables are too great.

So, clean shot is the best policy whenever possible. It just doesn't cure my curiousity.

I suppose the millitary has a lot of info. If those guys miss, the prey may well shoot back.

thanks all!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

ohhh yeah... I've read where Barnes TSX will drill through a pine tree and still kill game. (that's not coming directly from Barnes, it was just a guy on the internet)

But, I think the general concensus is that most bullets of the same design are equally susceptible to deflection.

There even seems to be some evidence to suggest that large bullets may really be no less susceptible to deflection than small ones. ...in spite of the basic inertia/mass in motion physics argument