Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

berger in brush country

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

berger in brush country

Has any study been done with the effects of weeds, leaves, twigs on Berger hunting VLDs?

I'm shooting 180g Bergers in a 7mm Rem Mag.

Obviously these bullets excell in long range open country and there are other bullets/cartridges better suited to brush country. But, I was wondering whether broom weed, dove weed, or even a small weesatche twig would trigger expansion and terminal ballistics at the actual target (deer).

...and, how the distance from initial contact with such things 1 yd, 10 yds, or farther ahead of the target would make any difference.

I guess the bottom line is... How much resistance and at what velocity does it take to trigger expansion with these bullets?

(Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find anything.)

Thanks!
Richard
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: berger in brush country

If no study has been done, does anyone have an opinion or rule of thumb?

thanks!
Richard
Old 01-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Any long sleek bullet fired at high velocity will tumble when it contacts even a very small twig. I have never 'tested' this but have seen it when there was a small twig 10" infront of my target. In 10" of travel the bullet impacted sideways. This twig was about the diameter of a toothpick.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Michael!

I would not have guessed such a radical outcome from something so small and close to the target.

It would be great to hear from others as to their experiences.

Thanks all!!!
Richard
Old 01-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

Hi RScott5028,

My son-in-law missed a very good Wy. buck when his 180 grain bullet hit a twig 10 yards in front of the deer. Bullets will not plow through twigs, brush or the such.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

A good rule of thumb is expect anything to deflect a bullet, and the further from the target your bullets strikes something the more deflection you can expect. Think of it this way- spin a top on a flat surface at really high RPM and barely touch it and watch what happens. Now think about a bullet spinning hundreds of thousands of RPMs and imagine the consequences.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Gold Member

I agree with what everyone has said about even small twigs and such causing a bullet to deflect. The thing no one has mentioned is that it really does not matter about the "shape" of the bullet. A Berger is no more likely to deflect than a Barnes or Nosler....... The old wives tale of a round nosed "brush bucking" bullet is just that, an old wives tale.

The one thing that does make a difference is bullet weight. The heavier the bullet the harder it is for anything to push it around. For example a .224 / 55 grain bullet traveling at 3000 fps will be deflected much more than a .338 / 300 grain bullet traveling at the same speed and hitting the same twig. It is the old "object in motion....." physics thing. The higher the mass the more energy required to move it.