Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Berger 300gn'ers - long range accuracy, hunting and terminal performance results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Berger 300gn'ers - long range accuracy, hunting and terminal performance results

Thanks for the great write up and awesome pics. This is the kind of info we need and now is perfect timing.

Great shooting by all.

I feel the same about the Gen 2's and I am very excited about this season.

Jeff
Old 08-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: Berger 300gn'ers - long range accuracy, hunting and terminal performance results

Great write up thanks for sharing and providing pics.

So how is it packing around the Lunatic up in the mountains,
looks pretty steep.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:53 AM

Awesome work keep them coming
Old 08-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA48 View Post
Great write up thanks for sharing and providing pics.

So how is it packing around the Lunatic up in the mountains,
looks pretty steep.
CA,
Yea, its pretty steep! We use the Eberlestock J34 and X1E packs for carrying our big guns. The J34 works best with the longest barrel guns with muzzle brakes as the scabbard depth is 2 inches longer than the X1. We need our hands free to use ice axes etc, so these packs are the best way. Our usual 338 Lunatic build weighs 16 pounds including Nightforce scope, so having the rifle hard against you back the way Eberlestock does it is the best. My son built a bullpup Lunatic that weighs 13 pounds, and I'm working on a lighter weight version at the moment, but they've still gotta be shootable! It's when we're trying to carry a week or mores worth of camping, cooking gear and food etc that the 16 pound rifles start to feel a little heavy on the steep mountains!
We build a 338 Thor (338/416 imp) that weighs 8.5 lbs all up including scope with a 28" barrel pushing the 300's at 3050fps for those extended wilderness pack trips. But nothing beats the Lunatic when the wind blows!
Greg

Last edited by NZ Longranger; 08-10-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:25 PM

Guys I have to say well done and thanks for the write up!
I am in Iraq right now and if not for write ups like these I wouldn't get any doses of long range hunting. Bought a magazine on LR hunting but it ended up being a big Christensen Arms commercial... So this stuff here keeps me entertained!

Thanks guys and good luck in your next hunt!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

NZ I have been eyeballing the J34 for a while now but is has not been an absolute necessity for me as Texas is a lot flatter than NZ and much less snow and ice if any at all. That 8.5 lb Thor sounds like an interesting rifle and the ultimate mountain rifle. How is the rifle as far as being able to control it and maintain stability for those long range shots, just curious, that is a lot of bang for an 8.5 lbs package.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA48 View Post
NZ That 8.5 lb Thor sounds like an interesting rifle and the ultimate mountain rifle. How is the rifle as far as being able to control it and maintain stability for those long range shots, just curious, that is a lot of bang for an 8.5 lbs package.
CA,
Recoil wise its a pussy to shoot with one of our 3 port angled 7000 series alloy brakes. These were inspired by Kirby's painkiller brakes. We just streamlined ours a little and made them out of high grade alloy to keep the weight down on a carry rifle like this. Here's a pic of a 26" barreled version:

It is definitely a bit more fidgety to hold for sure, but shot off a locked bipod so long as you're a reasonable shot, you should be able to hold 1/2 MOA.
Greg