Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The Berger 300 gr Hybrid Gen 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 11:01 AM
SPONSOR

Re: The Berger 300 gr Hybrid Gen 2

First, I'd like to thank Shawn for his involvement in this project. There are few people who have his level of both capability and experience in this area. Asking him to test these bullets was a no brainer and I'm happy that he excepted.

The bullets that Shawn was sent were made with our standard process with the one exception being that we made only enough for testing rather than a larger quantity run. Given his results and the results from our other tester we have started production of a larger quantity of jackets. I can't guarantee a delivery date on the bullets but I do expect that we will have bullets available in larger numbers in May.

The other tester did shoot these bullets up to 3,100 fps but was unable to shoot them at higher velocities due to poor weather. He is loaded up to shoot them in a case that can push the 300 gr over 3,300 fps so we will soon learn how they work at this velocity as well.

Admittedly our biggest concern was getting them to work well at the highest velocities achievable with the 338 Lapua Mag given this cases popularity and its heavy use by the military. Since we have achieved this goal we will move forward with large scale production.

I will of course be pleased if the bullets work at higher velocities but if for some reason they do not, we won't hold up production any further. I know that all things have their limits and at some point this bullet will not function well but my fingers are crossed that this point is high enough to satisfy those who want to shoot it at extremely high velocity.

I certainly do not want to discourage anyone from doing so but when I think about a 300 gr bullet traveling at 3,300 fps I can't help but think "crap that's fast". If it works, great but resolving performance in the 338 Lapua Mag was our goal.

Regards,
Eric

Berger Bullets
Old 04-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Bronze Member

sp6x6 ......pm sent
Old 04-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Good news, Eric, and thanks for keeping us informed.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't generated more interest than it has...interesting...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 04-14-2011, 01:18 PM
SPONSOR

Jmden,

I can appreciate that many 338 cal shooters are tired of hearing us talk about it and are ready for us to prove it by shipping bullets. This situation has gone on long enough and it is time for us to either put up or shut up.

To that point, we will start making our first larger run by the end of next week. The first shooters to get bullets will be those who returned our original version because it did not work for them. After all of these shooters are satisfied we will start shipping against our back orders. The oldest orders will ship first and we will go down the line from there.

I will admit that the firt large run will not be enough to satisfy all of the back orders. We had ordered only enough copper for our testing plus an initial large run should the testing be successful. At the time we had far fewer of these bullets on back order than we do today.

We have already ordered more than enough copper to satisfy all the back orders plus put a significant amount of the shelf. This amount of copper will also allow us to make jackets for the 250 gr Hybrid bullet. In the next two months we will be up and rolling with both weights.

I spoke with the other tester today who had a chance to shoot the Gen 2 bullets at 3,350 fps. He shot them from 400 yards all the way out to 1,200 yards and had excellent results. He was getting 1/2 MOA or less out to 1,000 yards. At 1,000 yards groups would get up to 3/4 MOA or less but at that distance and with such a large case he relayed that this level of performance is better than any other 338 cal bullets he's used in that gun.

I know that all of this is still just talk and I am looking forward to getting these bullets out the door soon so everyone can experience these results themselves.

Regards,
Eric

Berger Bullets
Old 04-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Bronze Member

102 grains of H-1000? Wow, I wouldn't have thought you could get that much into an edge case. Is this is an old batch of H-1000?

I was working on some loads lately with H-1000 and started at 88 grains and quit at 90 grains.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

Shawn,

I was wondering if you shot any groups 40 -50 thou off lands, for us with 3.8 wyatt mags. Was wondering if the accuracy is still there with the berger. I have heard they like to be seated close to the lands. Thx
Old 04-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatrack View Post
102 grains of H-1000? Wow, I wouldn't have thought you could get that much into an edge case. Is this is an old batch of H-1000?

I was working on some loads lately with H-1000 and started at 88 grains and quit at 90 grains.

That's in Shawn's +P version...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl