Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Benchrest hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2005, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Benchrest hunting

[image][/image] guess thats what you would call this. I've set posts all over my hunting lease and have made a tabletop to put on them that has swivel and elevation capability.Heres some crummy photos that might make it as clear as mud. [image][/image] [image][/image] The second pix is of a post used for load development it looks at a 300yd shot [image][/image] The fourth pic is of a post site that offers an 800yd. shot. These posts are also where they are because the deer frequent the places they overlook.The table top and the swivel mechanism are two different pieces to make it easier to set up. In most places it's just a few yds. to the post from the truck.When its set up it is rock solid.Oh yeah the posts have hard points set into them so the bolts wont keep going further into the wood.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: Benchrest hunting

Looks like a great idea.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:29 PM
PUBLISHER

Very nice idea. Thanks for showing us!

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-22-2005, 07:06 AM

Good idea, and pretty country!
Old 03-23-2005, 06:42 AM
Silver Member

I hope you remembered to put the salt blocks near the aiming stakes! Will that bench fit and can you shoot from it out of the back of your truck?
Old 03-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

3sixbits, We use corn here,the salt/mineral blocks see most use during the summer.Also I'm not sure what you mean by aiming stakes [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]The posts are 4"x4" about 28" out of the ground and I set the bench top on a post ,tighten bolts ,plop down a rear bag ,insert the homemade 3//4" allthread and elevation wheel with front bag and rest (sinclair bag/rest) make adjustments and wait [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]The size of the bench top can be seen from the photo and yes, I could make a post bolted inthe bed of the truck to put the benchtop on. Probably would make a insert for the trailer hitch receiver instead though.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

Aiming stakes are for known distances, so you know what your hold will be for that unwarry buck that comes in to steal your corn!