Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bench shooting vs Bipod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 06:48 AM

Re: Bench shooting vs Bipod

didn't get to read all the replies to your post so if im repeating another reply im sorry so ill keep it brief. first I agree with LDHunter their are many variables and heavier and stiffer lessen their affects but one big factor you must be aware of is your resistance to recoil. the more you resist recoil the more energy goes forward, the less resistance the more recoil pushes back the less energy going forward. that lead sled is great at fighting recoil much better than your shoulder. though slight you will have higher velocities from the sled vs bipod and shoulder and even sandbags vs bipod. also you will resist recoil more shooting from a pod prone than you will sitting off a high bipod. now like LDHunter said their are many more variables but I think if that's not the its one of the biggest.

faster, flatter, farther if not why bother!!!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Silver Member

Re: Bench shooting vs Bipod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheater View Post
didn't get to read all the replies to your post so if im repeating another reply im sorry so ill keep it brief. first I agree with LDHunter their are many variables and heavier and stiffer lessen their affects but one big factor you must be aware of is your resistance to recoil. the more you resist recoil the more energy goes forward, the less resistance the more recoil pushes back the less energy going forward. that lead sled is great at fighting recoil much better than your shoulder. though slight you will have higher velocities from the sled vs bipod and shoulder and even sandbags vs bipod. also you will resist recoil more shooting from a pod prone than you will sitting off a high bipod. now like LDHunter said their are many more variables but I think if that's not the its one of the biggest.

faster, flatter, farther if not why bother!!!
I agree with this. When shooting 17 lb class in 1000 BR if you shoulder a gun differently it will shoot high or low. Usually more pressure on the stock will shoot high. In the heavy gun class most people free recoil and if you touch the stock with shoulder the shot goes high. With the lead sled the gun would not move as much. I have my scopes mounted really high so my cheek doesn't touch stock. Now you have to get the parallax out or moving the head up and down or left and right would change POI. So if parallax is out i don't think think it would change from moving to a different position like bench to prone. I think its more to do with the recoil of the gun.