Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Bench shooting vs Bipod

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 11-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 1,197
Re: Bench shooting vs Bipod

Gotcha. In the northwest mountains it is pack it or stay home. I rarely shoot from a bench or like source other than for load development. I do all my shooting in the same terrain I hunt. It has been educational and quite the challenge but shooting 1300 yards at 8000 feet in all sorts of wind, temp, light, and a host of other various inputs puts a guys brain in hyper drive. first round cold bore hits in this play ground is way more difficult than shooting my bow. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: montana
Posts: 56
Re: Bench shooting vs Bipod

i always recheck my poi from bags to bipod. i find all my rifles are not the same in how much this can change. i think there are many things going on to change your poi from the bags to bipod from eye angle to how firm the ground is the bipod is sitting on to bedding and wood or synthetic stock can also be a huge factor for this . most bench's are built to be rock solid. in the field it is almost impossible to find that perfect rest.
so for me i always work up a load that will shoot very well on the bench. if it is a load i will be using for hunting in that given rifle i will then sight it in with the bipod.
it helps that i can do all this from my back door
__________________
i've got a season ticket on a one way ride
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 1,197
Re: Bench shooting vs Bipod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmarine View Post
i always recheck my poi from bags to bipod. i find all my rifles are not the same in how much this can change. i think there are many things going on to change your poi from the bags to bipod from eye angle to how firm the ground is the bipod is sitting on to bedding and wood or synthetic stock can also be a huge factor for this . most bench's are built to be rock solid. in the field it is almost impossible to find that perfect rest.
so for me i always work up a load that will shoot very well on the bench. if it is a load i will be using for hunting in that given rifle i will then sight it in with the bipod.
it helps that i can do all this from my back door
Well that is really not that helpful. Ha ha. I can shoot at our family farm within reason but it is not easy like the back door. Jealous.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: montana
Posts: 56
Re: Bench shooting vs Bipod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
Well that is really not that helpful. Ha ha. I can shoot at our family farm within reason but it is not easy like the back door. Jealous.
i hear you on that
i think about all the shooting i do and if i had to go to a shooting range with maybe other shooters there and all the time it would take . makes me really glad i can do it here in my own back yard
__________________
i've got a season ticket on a one way ride
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The cold part of Montana
Posts: 1,390
Re: Bench shooting vs Bipod

I almost never shoot from a bench anymore, even my load testing is done prone now. Part of the reason is that I can tend to fight a bench, most of my shooting in the field, be it varmints, targets, or game is largely prone any way so I figured why mess with with something I'm not always comfortable with when I don't use that in practice anyway. Gets me some strange looks from time to time .
__________________
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 334
Re: Bench shooting vs Bipod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
I almost never shoot from a bench anymore, even my load testing is done prone now. Part of the reason is that I can tend to fight a bench, most of my shooting in the field, be it varmints, targets, or game is largely prone any way so I figured why mess with with something I'm not always comfortable with when I don't use that in practice anyway. Gets me some strange looks from time to time .
I do the same thing. I feel as if it is a bit of a confidence builder, and that it keeps me in check on my effective killing range. The bad part I am finding since I started getting into prone/long range shooting, is that I have lost my ability to even think about shooting offhand. If I see a deer, the first thing I do is put my bipod out and lay down. hahahaha
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 1,197
Re: Bench shooting vs Bipod

Good points. I shot a boat load today doing load development over a chrono. Bench shooting was the best set up for this. I like to shoot prone otherwise since it is the way I will do it in the field most of the time anyway.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC