Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bedding something with a bedding block?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2003, 08:18 AM
Gold Member

Re: Bedding something with a bedding block?

Everybody is pretty well correct on this one. If the rifle shoots without bedding great! If it don't skim bedding it won't hurt a thing, at the very least I would bed the lug.
With that said, V-blocks are kinda glorified pillars. And they are often crooked in the stock.
As far as torque, I stick with 65 in/lbs. I think S1 said it but I'll say it again front then back screw and make sure holes are bigger than the screw so the gun recoils on the lug not the screws.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:15 AM
Bronze Member

What bedding compound do you use when bedding the HS stock?
Old 03-29-2003, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

S1, You stated the two lines on your reciever and on the aluminum block are from the recoil lug flexing when the rifle is fired, the stock(HS) that I got from Midway for my 708 has the lines in them and I haven't fired the rifle in that stock yet(noticed them when taking stock off and on for fine tuning the trigger, unless I'm misunderstanding you, the lines that we all see, back by the tang also, are the contact lines(patches) that are supposed to be there in the first place, like I was telling Doug in a e-mail earlier, lets say you have a V block, drill a hole through it and put a steel bar on top of it with a drilled and tapped hole, now torque them together to 65inlbs, when you pull them off it's going to leave a mark on both sides of the metals, not from recoil. And my box stock(barreled action) 700 6mmRem. has shot under 1/4" at times with the screws(both)torqued to 65inlbs, shooting 'nonmatch' 75gr Sierras. Someone that has done an unbiased before and after test (not bedded vs. bedded) should reply to this thread, as long as they torqued the guard screws 'per HS specs'65inlbs, on the nonbedded stock, then we all can see if "bedding" the HS stock really helps or not, as for my rifles I'd say not. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Jay
Old 03-29-2003, 11:21 AM
Silver Member

Jay,

I had 500 rounds through my Win Stealth before I sent it to GA Precision for a bed with Marine Tex. After an additional 1000+ rounds, I find the accuracy to be on par or slightly better than it was before BUT,, when I shoot the long strings at 1000 (26 to 30 rounds) the POI no longer shifts.

When the barrel gets hot (and it do get hot mang) the rifle is still POA/POI where as before there was a small shift after heat up.

Also,, the rear action screw used to loosen after about 40 rounds. Now it stays put at 65in lbs.

It was fully free floated and has been torqued for every round ever fired through it.

YMMV....

FatBoy...
Old 03-29-2003, 11:31 AM
Silver Member

Fatboy, What kind of accuracy are you getting with that stealth, 308 I pressume. Thinking of gatting one, whats your secret load? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Jay
Old 03-29-2003, 02:52 PM
Gold Member

Do you guys put Locktite on the action screws? I have been using blue Locktite on mine and they haven't come loose yet.

The come apart fine when I want to remove the action.

Just wondering if I am the only one that Locktites teh action screws ...

(And scope mount screws ...)

Doug
Old 03-29-2003, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

Jay,

I load to track the turret on a M3 scope, so my load isn't the most accurate out there. I average about .6" at 100 for a 5 shot group. I've had some go into the .3" and some go over 1",, but most sit just below 3/4 at 100. I've seen these ifles shoot much better.

My 100 yard load is Win case/WLR/44.2Varget/175SMK to 2.827"

my 1K load is Lapua case/210M/45Varget/175SMK to 2.827"

my scope load is the same as above but with 44.4gr Varget. Follows the markings on the M3LR like it's a rails.

dmw,

I never use locite (even blue) on action screws. Only part of my rifle that sees loctite is the scope base screws.

FatBoy...