Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bed a wood stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Bronze Member

Bed a wood stock?

Would this be worth doing? I figure that the wood may warp/give and the epoxy would break. Is this true?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bed a wood stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk81 View Post
Would this be worth doing? I figure that the wood may warp/give and the epoxy would break. Is this true?
No. Wood stocks respond to glass/epoxy bedding better than most synthetics do. Most of the factory "synthetic" stocks are made of plastics that are not rigid, expand and contract as much or more than properly sealed wood, and are too slick for bedding compound to adhere properly.

The higher end fiberglass stocks with aluminum bedding blocks can and do outperform wood, but are expensive.

The cheap plastic OEM "synthetic" stocks are generally inferior to wood in nearly every respect. IMO, to outperform a properly bedded and sealed wood or laminate stock, you have to go with fiberglass stocks that incorporate an aluminum bedding block like Bell & Carlson, HS Precision, McMillan, or Manners.

A wood or laminate stock responds well to bedding. A flimsy plastic stock is best replaced with a better quality fiberglass stock. Bedding work is comparatively inexpensive.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
No. Wood stocks respond to glass/epoxy bedding better than most synthetics do. Most of the factory "synthetic" stocks are made of plastics that are not rigid, expand and contract as much or more than properly sealed wood, and are too slick for bedding compound to adhere properly.

The higher end fiberglass stocks with aluminum bedding blocks can and do outperform wood, but are expensive.

The cheap plastic OEM "synthetic" stocks are generally inferior to wood in nearly every respect. IMO, to outperform a properly bedded and sealed wood or laminate stock, you have to go with fiberglass stocks that incorporate an aluminum bedding block like Bell & Carlson, HS Precision, McMillan, or Manners.

A wood or laminate stock responds well to bedding. A flimsy plastic stock is best replaced with a better quality fiberglass stock. Bedding work is comparatively inexpensive.
Didn't we already go through all this yesterday?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Didn't we already go through all this yesterday?
I would say the OP wasn't in on the discussion, hence the question. I suppose one could always snarkily respond with, "Use the Search Function", but I have always thought that to be kind of a prigish way to treat a newcomer, so I went with the rehash.

Is this the thread you were referring to?

WOOD or PLASTIC?

Last edited by benchracer; 08-28-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added link
Old 08-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Bronze Member

We did have the conversation about the fiberglass high end stocks being better quality, but I never asked the question about bedding a wood stock. I will be bedding the stock on the 06 because grandpa will not allow me to put a bell and carlson on it because he hates the looks.

Thanks for all the help!