Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bear Meat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 09:41 AM

Bear Meat?

Excuse my African ignorance BUT ..... what do you guys do with your bears after they have expired? Can you eat them or is it strictly trophy stuff? Tanned and mounted bears look very nice and I wouldn't mind having a go but is there any other use. Are the bears a nuisance and need thinning out? Please educate an ignorant African. I would love to come hunt the States one day - magic country!
Dave
Old 08-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Gold Member

bear

Browns and Grizzlies are not considered edible. Their pelts and skulls are taken as the trophy. In most circumstances the carcasses are left in the field and the meat is not salvaged. Black bears are valued by many as great table fare. In many areas bears are a nuisance, usually black bears. They have adapted so well at living in and near populated areas. Hunting usually controlls them.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

The more southern bears are known to have trichinosis and it is important to cook the meat well just as you would for wild/feral hogs.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Silver Member

I thought it was the more northern bears have Trichinosis. I have heard that something like 70% of black bears in Alaska have Trich and that its not very common down here.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcs View Post
Excuse my African ignorance BUT ..... what do you guys do with your bears after they have expired? Can you eat them or is it strictly trophy stuff? Tanned and mounted bears look very nice and I wouldn't mind having a go but is there any other use. Are the bears a nuisance and need thinning out? Please educate an ignorant African. I would love to come hunt the States one day - magic country!
Dave
Yup!!! They taste awesome. You have to try eating bear meat, before putting a label. They taste GREAT.
The meat fiber is like Beef and the taste is like pork. Try to imagined mixing beef with porc, and having a wild game flavor.

Chris
Old 08-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

I never ate black bear but some of my friends do. They cut all the meat into chunks and place it in standard ball jars, adding a pinch of salt. The jars are placed into a pot of boiling water where they cook for a couple of hours. The jars are then sealed tight just like canning tomatoes. The bear meat can now be put on a shelf and requires no refrigeration.

When they want to use the meat they usually simmer up some peppers and onions in a large frying pan and toss in the meat which is already cooked. Give it all a few minutes on the stove and its good to go. These guys love bear meat prepared this way.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Silver Member

Bear meat is fine to eat, you use the normal roast parts ofr roasts, and cook them like pork roasts. The rest ( at least up here) is generally used in peperonni or lanyeger....maybe jerky.

Joe Oakes