Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Beanland vs McWhorter Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 12:46 AM

Re: Beanland vs McWhorter Rifles

I too would be interested in a ballpark price. Don't wish to waste the mans time if outa my range.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:58 AM

I just recently got my rifle back from Jon. He's a awesome builder and a super nice guy to deal with. I built a 300 win mag on a trued rem 700 action. Med Palma Bartlein barrel 1:10 and 26", Macmillan HTG stock with adjustable cheek piece and Timney trigger. Pillar bedded stock and cerakote all metal. I had all components shipped directly to Jon and with his labor all together gun was right at $2500. And for the quality and workmanship from Jon I think that's a heck of a price. That also included fluting barrel and tactical bolt knob.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Me thinks this is a naive question. Most probably any rifle from either of these sources will out shoot the shooter and mechanically function beyond the requirements of any situation that will be encountered by a typical user.

Personalities and temperaments notwithstanding I doubt there would be dissatisfaction with final result regardless of the choice.
Yep. No doubt.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Bronze Member

Mcwhorter is really fun to say. Other than that it sounds like beanfield builds a good gun. I've got a couple smiths that I'm buddies with down here in Va so I really can't comment. I know one guy that bought 2 7mm stw rifles from Mcwhorter and he loves them
Old 10-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Gold Member

Here's one Jon built for me. 6.5x47Lapua with Krieger 1-8.5 ROT. Absolutely one more tack driver!

RicksTacRifle by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

And another in 30/06....another shooter!

Beanland06 by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Ralph L. Ermey

Last edited by RMulhern; 10-05-2014 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 10-13-2014, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

Bean land makes a great gun. I have 2 that I bought off this site and they are both some of the most accurate guns I own.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
Here's one Jon built for me. 6.5x47Lapua with Krieger 1-8.5 ROT. Absolutely one more tack driver!

RicksTacRifle by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

And another in 30/06....another shooter!

Beanland06 by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr
OH MY GOODNESS!!! Them bolt handles are on the wrong side. Send em back.

I have a Jon Beanland build waiting on me when I get home off of this job in Kentucky. This is my first build with Jon though I have handled some of his work. The fit and finish is second to none and all that I know that own his rifles are certainly not dissappointed.

We talked regularly throughout the build process, mostly me calling him and sometimes him calling me just to verify something. He doesn't assume. My build was a 7LRM, everything including the Bighorn action was drop shipped to him and he let me know up front about how long everything would take and when parts were in. Even got it done a little sooner than he had indicated.

Now with that said McWorter does make a fine rifle and both a Beanland or a McWorter will likely out shoot the guy behind it, But most that I know think the McWorter is a little over priced.