Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

bdc and long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

bdc and long range

My Gunsmith has a monarch 4-16x50with bdc he said he will give me a great price on. I like the idea, seems to be alot faster in ways. So I figured it might be worth it to try. Who uses reticles like this for long range 600-1000.

Also I use the strelok app on my phone. It has a handful of options for bdc reticle to choose from and im not sure what Type this reticle would be. Does anyone know? I would like to still use the app because I know temp altitudes and bar psi will change my POI. Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 AM
Silver Member

Re: bdc and long range

I've heard nikon has a data sheet where you can input you scope and bullet info but cannot find it. Does anyone have this link?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:54 AM

Nikon Spot On™ Ballistic Match Technology Program
Old 04-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the link..
Does anyone care to share opinions on pros and cons to using a reticle vs using turrets? I can think of a handful of the obvious good and bad to them. But just looking for opinions before I switch
Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

I like a bdc reticle when it comes to varmint hunting I have my coyote gun set up with a nikon bdc scope and it is dead on out to 600 yards with my loads makes for fast decisions when things are happening in a hurry. I also like that you can use strelok or nikons program to fine tune the reticle for field conditions.

I have used a bdc reticle on big game as well but put the limits of these systems at about 600 yards once I'm over that mark dialing is the only way to ensure accuracy.

The bdc system is like alot of things you get what you put into it back out..if you go out and field verify your drops with the reticle in field conditions it can be tuned to be very effective.

However they are not a sight my rifle in at 100 and go shoot an elk at 600 type of deal...you really need to know your rifle and your laod data to make them work.

There is an article on this site about the nikon bdc and it is very informative

Last edited by albertakid; 04-01-2013 at 07:46 AM. Reason: article
Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatgerm View Post
Thanks for the link..
Does anyone care to share opinions on pros and cons to using a reticle vs using turrets? I can think of a handful of the obvious good and bad to them. But just looking for opinions before I switch
the key would be get to know your gun. once you do the reticle will work for you.
if there is ample time dialing is the more precise method.
opinions will vary but thats mine. it stems from a point in time when there were no options for dialing. custom reticles were the only choice and they worked.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Silver Member

Why only 600 yards? I punched my gun info in on sterlok and for my data the post would be almost 800yards if I had zeroed it at 350. Bullet drop with my gun from 100-350 is only 6" so I wouldn't be worried about having it zeroed there...
I know my gun well and have found my hand loads I really like. Gun shoots sub .5 moa (if I can).... I don't have the best high dollar turret scope on but it just seems the more I play with the turrets the less I trust them. I think trust in your equipment is 90% of the battle