Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Base and rings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2003, 02:49 PM

Base and rings

I have a Savage 110 tactical long action and having trouble finding a good one pc. ring and tapered base comb. after a brief search it appears Badger Ring & Base combo's are what recommanded. I've looked A.R.M.S but this mount are heavy and I also plan on using this same gun for hunting. the other question is the scope I have is a leupold 4.5-14 50 mil dot, the scope has a max ring mount of 5.5" and some ring manufactor are recommanding extended rings? I new to long range and this is my first rifle and don't have a clue what I need. So, what the story. I what enough MOA and a solid mount I can trust. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2003, 07:51 PM

Re: Base and rings

If money is a factor, I would choose the Ken Farrel tapered base, ring spacing should'nt be a problem.
If money is not a issue, I would buy the Badger, I own 2 with standard height rings and 50mm scopes in each set.
Any Weaver style ring will fit these bases.
NF has tapered bases as well, 2 peice if that floats your boat.
Leupold mk4 bases are not tappered
Old 09-10-2003, 07:29 AM

The two mount you have are they long action? Kevin at US Tactical said Badger carries a short action for the savage but was unaware of a long action mount. If you have a part# for the tappered badger base I could sure use it. AT this point the more I look money isn't the question, but finding something that is reliable. Also do you have a link for Ken Farrel or Farrell, I came up empty on the search. Thanks for the reply.

[ 09-10-2003: Message edited by: James Sawyer ]

Old 09-10-2003, 07:43 AM

www.kenfarrell.com
Old 09-10-2003, 05:06 PM

James, sorry ,I should have mentioned the base's that I have are for the 700 short action.
If I were buying a base for a Savage long range outfit, I would probably get the Farrel 20 moa base, Rings would be another decision, there are quite a few that will work.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:42 AM

I contacted Kenneth @ Farrell, I sure hope they make a 4 screw mount for this Savage. I assuming the bases are a weaver style mounts, hard to tell from they’re WEB page. What you’re recommendation on rings, and do you know if any weaver style mounts will work on other manufactory bases? Badger seems to be the recommended rings or Leupold MK4. I was starting to think I'd have to go with the Burris 2 piece dovetail mounts and the Signature Pos-Align rings. The Dovetail style is not the way I want to go if I can help it. Burris doesn't make a Zee Ring mount for the Savage either, I can't believe what a pain this has been on getting a reliable mount on this action. Also I contact Savage regarding the problems I’m running into and they are recommending Leatherwood, anyone have any input on this? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2003, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Ken Farrel's mount will work fine if you can get a long one for your Savage. You should follow his instructions and bed them tho.

Another possibility is www.nearmfg.com for Savage, but you would have to contact him to check out lengths. Near rails are wonderful things, but costy.

Any Weaver style ring will fit Picatinny or rail mounts. The true Picatinny rail such as the Badger or Near have very precisely positioned cross-slots, the Farrel is very similar but the cross-slots are not Picatinny spec, they are 1/2" apart, I believe. Picatinny Spec is important for tactical use so that you can mount multiple sighting instruments or gadgets on a rifle, no biggie for hunters.

As far as rails (bases) go the Badger and Near and a couple of other high-end brands are simply the best there is. The Farrel is beautifully machined and finished and will do an excellent job and it is much less $. The MK4 is also nice but probably not available for your rifle unless you use a two-piece. Nothing wrong with two-piece mounts except they are not cool.

RINGS - Badgers are simply the best. If you don't want Badgers for some reason (not sure what such a reason could be except for $) there are other tacticals that are fine, including the re-styled MK4's from Leupold. Farrel makes some nice ones, so does Nightforce, HS and others. Be aware that these big rings should be lapped for best fit and performance.

Cheaper alternates include the Warne Maxima (very good rings) and the Burris Weaver-styles with the plastic inserts.