Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Base and ring combo advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Base and ring combo advise

Perhaps just personal preference, but I like the groove that Nightforce and EGW put down the centerline of their rails.

I don't see that in the pictures of Seekins and have no experience with their products.

Nightforce puts a lip on theirs behind the front seating area. Supposedly that helps absorb recoil. But, it's pretty useless unless you bed it since it's not custom machined for your rifle and must therefore allow some tolerance.

I have seen some cheaply made rails that I would not use. But, NF, Leupold, EGW are all quality products. Seekins also looks good on their website, but I've had no first hand experience with them.

I like the 6 cap screws on the Burris XTR rings. I feel you can get a good even grip without straining. I have not tried any other picatinny rings.

Also, take a look at what Michael Eichele had to say about bedding the base:
new custom cant get to shoot
I've never had that problem. But, some have.

If you pay attention to your install, I think you'll be pleased with any of the ones discussed.

-- richard
Old 02-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

The Seekings rings are a little cleaner, and dont have the 1/2 nut sticking out of the side, I have both styles. I like to have rails so I can switch scope easy if one goes down.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Gold Member

Well upon further investigation I discovered that the seekens rings only come in low (.75") for the 1" tube scope that I have. Does anyone know if these will work for a 50mm scope, seems like it might be to low. I sent an email to seekins to ask the same question but figured I would ask here as well. I will post what they say from seekins as well.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Depends on what base you use.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Gold Member

Well if I use seekins rings then I will use the seekins 20 MOA picatinny rail. If I use the Burris XTR rings then I will use a nightforce 20MOA picatinny rail. Another question I have is does anyone know what type of aluminum burris uses? Seekins state they use 7075-T6 alluminum alloy. All burris says is that they are aluminum. Are they of equal strength and quality? I was hoping to find steel rings ,like nightforce or badger but they dont make 1" rings. I know badger makes a ring reducer but Im not interested in that. So I hear that aluminum is stronger and lighter than the steel but I have heard different about aluminum rings stripping out easier and not handling the torque that steel can? So any way it looks like the options are seekins picatinny rails and rings (if they work for a 50mm objective because of only the low ring option)or nightforce rail with burris xtr rings, which?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroducksx3 View Post
Well if I use seekins rings then I will use the seekins 20 MOA picatinny rail. If I use the Burris XTR rings then I will use a nightforce 20MOA picatinny rail. Another question I have is does anyone know what type of aluminum burris uses? Seekins state they use 7075-T6 alluminum alloy. All burris says is that they are aluminum. Are they of equal strength and quality? I was hoping to find steel rings ,like nightforce or badger but they dont make 1" rings. I know badger makes a ring reducer but Im not interested in that. So I hear that aluminum is stronger and lighter than the steel but I have heard different about aluminum rings stripping out easier and not handling the torque that steel can? So any way it looks like the options are seekins picatinny rails and rings (if they work for a 50mm objective because of only the low ring option)or nightforce rail with burris xtr rings, which?

Warne make steel one inch rings. I have a set and like them a lot.

Warne 1" Maxima Permanent-Attachable Weaver-Style Rings Matte Low - MidwayUSA

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 02-20-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

Pyro,

You're way overthinking this. Any of the solutions mentioned thus far will exceed your expectations.

The Burris rings can handle more than the necessary torque. But, with 6 cap screws you won't have to worry about that anyway.

If you want steel, then Warne is a good option. And if you plan on dropping the rifle off a cliff, add a third ring.

If you go with one of the choices that offers both low and medium rings, go with the low rings and exchange them if they don't work out.

Or, buy everything except the rings and then block up between the base and the scope and measure before ordering.

-- richard