Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Base and ring combo advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Gold Member

Base and ring combo advise

I have a rem 700 in 7 rem mag. The scope is a burris fullfield II 6.5-20 1" 50MM that Im having the Tac-2 turrets installed on. For bases Im thinking of going with either a 20 nightforce or leupold picatinny rail (any recommendation for either?) Should I have this rail installed by a smith and have it pinned and the whole 9? For rings Im thinking of either the burris signature Zee rings or the burris XTR rings. If I go the XTR Im assuming Ill have to have them lapped. Any advise would be appreciated thank you.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Base and ring combo advise

Sounds like either will works. I had the XTR's and no lapping needed. Glue the base on with devcon, screw it, and mount the rings and scope. NF has the cool factor if that makes any difference to you. Both Leupy and NF are quality products.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

If you want a really tough mounting system, consider Burris dual dovetails with signature rings. You'll need the reversible front set. I know it's not sexy "tacticool" like the nightforce, but it works really well.

If you're set on a picatinny rail. I'd go with the 20 moa Weaver tactical mount with Signature Zee's
Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Gold Member

Well Im not really set on "tacticol" I just want a mounting system that is as tough as I can make it. I read some reviews that said the burris signature rings were good but needed some improvement. The screw to mount to the rail should be a torx instead of a slot screw, some rusting issues. Also one said that it was very solid but not the strongest. So I was wondering what was the strongest.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

I have 1x Nightforce and 4x EGW's. The quality of the latter is the same at half the price.

Devcon is a good suggestion. But, here's another method....
Picatinny style base and ring installation

I have not needed to lap the Burris XTR rings thus far.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Gold Member

Would you (everyone) consider the nightforce, leupold, EGW bases of equal quality and performance?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Gold Member

Ok after researching around Ill make it easier. What would you choose between seekins or nightforce picatinny rail bases? And for scope rings seekins or burris XTR rings?