Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Barrel/stock fitment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Barrel/stock fitment

Ill try to post this here, hopefully i will get a few more opinions. Im contemplating purchasing a stock from this company(PSE Composites), for my Tikka T3. I recieved some pics of the stock with a sporter barrel, which is what i have. What are your guys thoughts on the large gap between barrel and stock? Pros? Cons? etc.....

Old 12-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Gold Member

Re: Barrel/stock fitment

It doesn't look too bad and I'm sure it would help with barrel cooling. I don't see a problem with it.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Gold Member

I looked up their website and I like the looks of their stocks. I couldn't fine any prices. How much are they shipped from Ireland?
Old 12-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRSickle View Post
I looked up their website and I like the looks of their stocks. I couldn't fine any prices. How much are they shipped from Ireland?
Ive been in contact with them for awhile and they DO make really nice stocks. However, they are fairly expensive 600-700$, and im not sure what shipping would involve.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

If I was spending 600-700 bucks on a stock, it is going to fit a lot better than that. Ya it will work, but that large gap will collect "stuff" during hunting (snow, rain, dirt, pine needles).

The amount of cooling it will allow out ways a good fit to me.

This is all my opinion, just want my barrel and stock to fit better.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys46 View Post
If I was spending 600-700 bucks on a stock, it is going to fit a lot better than that. Ya it will work, but that large gap will collect "stuff" during hunting (snow, rain, dirt, pine needles).

The amount of cooling it will allow out ways a good fit to me.

This is all my opinion, just want my barrel and stock to fit better.
This is how the stock was meant to fit, its not shotty work. I understand that fitment like this in the past was a sign of bad workmanship, but that is not the case here. Im just wondering if designing it to fit this way is good/bad/ugly? etc.. As far as collecting stuff, yea probably but all floated barrels do, and this one would be easy to clean. I guess also if one decided to rebarrel he would have a little room to work with.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

Not saying it's shooty work, But if your asking for opinions, to me is ugly. But that's just me. The part by the chamber where the barrel starts to tapper to me should match the stock.

You would have a lot of room to rebarrel. If you like it go for it, but the amount of room for "cooling" is over blown. You just want clearance so the stock does not touch the stock.

Good luck on the decision.

Willys