Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Barrel Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Bronze Member

Barrel Question

A group of us are plannng to go to Texas in the spring of 2012 for a helicopter hog hunt.
I am planning to use one of my M1As for this hunt and my question is: Which barrel would be less prone to heat damage from rapid fire.
I have three M1A rifles--carbon steel loaded, stainless steel loaded and a standard chrome lined. In my experience, the stainless and the chrome lined barrels do seem to foul less than the carbon. All three have been completely accurized and are equally accurate to my ability.
Thanks,
Silvertip
Old 12-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel Question

I think basically it will be harmfull to all 3 if it is less destructive to one over the other it will be very slightly

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 12-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip44 View Post
A group of us are plannng to go to Texas in the spring of 2012 for a helicopter hog hunt.
I am planning to use one of my M1As for this hunt and my question is: Which barrel would be less prone to heat damage from rapid fire.
I have three M1A rifles--carbon steel loaded, stainless steel loaded and a standard chrome lined. In my experience, the stainless and the chrome lined barrels do seem to foul less than the carbon. All three have been completely accurized and are equally accurate to my ability.
Thanks,
Silvertip
I'd go with the shorter stainless barrels if I was going to shoot the M1A's.

Actually though I'd shoot a 12g auto loader with buck shot or slugs if I wanted to do more killing with less shooting as is pretty much the standard for helicopter hog hunts.

Helo's do not make for steady platforms and to shoot accurately from them with a rifle takes considerable practice.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Gold Member

Not trying to hijack your thread but what do those helo hog hunts cost? I've seen videos of helo hog hunting and it looks like about as much fun as a guy can have with his pants on. Looks like one hell of a good time to me and I'm curious what it costs.

Thanks
B
Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Bronze Member

B23 we were quoted $675 per hour.