Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

barrel length 7mm wsm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 10:43 PM

barrel length 7mm wsm

is there much difference between a 24in. barrel and a 26in. barrel. will be shooting factory ammo to start then eventually load for it. thanks

matty
Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Gold Member

Re: barrel length 7mm wsm

You will see some reduction in velocity with a shorter barrel, maybe 40-60 fps. I have read that shorter barrels are more accurate, not sure if I buy that or not. My 7 SAUM has a 28" barrel and I wouldn't have a shorter one for anything. I'm burning less powder and getting higher velocities than any of the manuals say I should have. Barrel length is a personal choice that can only be made by you. I like longer barrels, many like shorter barrels. Longer ones can be a pain to find a quality case that's long enough.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 AM

Re: barrel length 7mm wsm

The way I understand it the difference in accuracy between a 24" or 26" barrel would be minimal, IF there is any inherent difference. Both can potentially be accurate but the difference is more likely to be due to other factors, such as quality of materials and manufacturing tolerances, rather than the length.

Logic seems to indicate that, given the same contour, a shorter barrel will be stiffer, but even that doesn't necessarily mean more accurate. I think there are too many other factors for a generalisation like that.

If every fps counts then a longer barrel will deliver higher muzzle velocity (up to a point), and that's more likely the governing factor. That and the practicality of carrying around a longer barrel.