Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Barrel length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

Barrel length

Ok so I am having a 338 edge built right now and I have a bartlien 31" finished blank for the build. I was originally thinking 28" was going to be my barrel length but was wondering if I should if I should go longer. The gun will be used for long range elk at 1000+- yards. Let me know what you guys think and if you think the extra 2" is worth the extra weight ect.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barrel length

I like 30 to 30.5" . You can always have it cut shorter.You didn't mention the shank length, but if you have a 5" shank then the barrel can be set back at a later date for extra life and still have 28". Gary
Old 04-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clndesl View Post
Ok so I am having a 338 edge built right now and I have a bartlien 31" finished blank for the build. I was originally thinking 28" was going to be my barrel length but was wondering if I should if I should go longer. The gun will be used for long range elk at 1000+- yards. Let me know what you guys think and if you think the extra 2" is worth the extra weight ect.
The weight isn't an issue as we're talking mere ounces per inch.

The biggest issue with the longer barrels is trying to maneuver through the woods with them.

If you are pushing through much cover where you hunt that extra barrel length adds up to problems.

If not, it's just a matter of practicality for things like finding a gun case to carry and transport it in which is long enough..

Adding weight and length adds to stability and accuracy all else being equal butt do keep in mind they are negatives when hunting, especially back paking in tough terrain.

At most you gain about 50-75fps for ever inch of barrel over 26".

I don't own any hunting rigs with longer than a 27" finished barrel but when you add a muzzle break you're already at or very near 30".
Old 04-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clndesl View Post
I was originally thinking 28" .. what you guys think and if you think the extra 2"...
You could always split the difference and go with 29". I like my 30" barrels in Sendero contour. Is the extra velocity worth the 1" length? I think so for those 800+ yard shots. The only downside so far has been having to purchase a longer than normal gun case.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

Why don't you talk to the manufacturer and see what they suggest, I was looking at the same scenario as you with a Hart barrel last year. I talked at length with their techs and they talked me out of it. The guy said after 27" it was basically a case of diminishing marginal returns...
Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple BB View Post
Why don't you talk to the manufacturer and see what they suggest, I was looking at the same scenario as you with a Hart barrel last year. I talked at length with their techs and they talked me out of it. The guy said after 27" it was basically a case of diminishing marginal returns...
That is true with some calibers but not with the big magnums. We have very large to huge case capacities and shoot slower burning powders than most folks so the extra inches of barrel really do have a real benefit for us where they don't for most folks.

The longer length gives you more time to burn up that large volume of slow burning powder reducing recoil, muzzle blast, and increasing velocity.

Yes, even with the big magnums there is a point of diminishing returns but I really don't think you reach that point until you hit about 30".
Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The weight isn't an issue as we're talking mere ounces per inch.

The biggest issue with the longer barrels is trying to maneuver through the woods with them.

If you are pushing through much cover where you hunt that extra barrel length adds up to problems.

If not, it's just a matter of practicality for things like finding a gun case to carry and transport it in which is long enough..

Adding weight and length adds to stability and accuracy all else being equal butt do keep in mind they are negatives when hunting, especially back paking in tough terrain.

At most you gain about 50-75fps for ever inch of barrel over 26".

I don't own any hunting rigs with longer than a 27" finished barrel but when you add a muzzle break you're already at or very near 30".
+1. Thas where I'm at. The longer the barrel, the more cumbersome it is to get around. If you pack in on horseback, the long barrel is a PITA. Back pack, the barrel is like an antenna, sticking up and snagging everything. The difference between 27 and shorter and 27 and longer is astonishing as far ar mobility.