Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Barrel de-resonator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barrel de-resonator

Cinch, I have had one of these sitting around for months ,and after seeing this post I desided to find out if this is VooDoo or Science. A friend of mine owns a Ruger in 300WM that dispite all efforts (new stock, pillar bedding, bbl break in, and much testing with the reloading) this gun shoots 1.25" groups at best . We headed to the range this morning at 6:30 to see if the guizmo works.

First we shot a couple of control groups, Yep 1.25" then we oiled the bbl and slid the device on 1.5"s and shot a group. Low and behold a 5/8" triangle and point of impact had moved 1.5"s right. Next we slid it back another 1.5", the group had the first two close w/ the third 1" left. point of impact was 2 more inches right and an inch higher.We moved the guizmo two more times with similar results. Two almost touching and one off alittle but all were better than before. Next we moved forward to the same spot as the 5/8" group to see if it was a fluke. Result was a nice tiangle 9/16th " group so we left it there and shot the last nine shots at the Gongs at 457yds-565 and 706yds.At 457 it shot at 2"s- 565 was at 2.5"s-706 was 3.75"s. Certainly nothing special for the LRH crowd but this gun had a hard time shooting 7 or 8" groups at 600 before. I suspect that it would mean little on a good shooting gun but on an unruly beast that doesn't shoot what have you got to lose (12 bucks?) FWIW---7mmRHB
Old 06-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

I agree that if a rifle does not shoot good, there is a physical reason why which can be corrected. However, there are some guns that are something that you just do not want to put the time and money into. If I can spend $12 and get an average gun to shoot more acceptable, it may be worth it. I just received mine yesterday and I think I will try it.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Gold Member

Hi i have one and they do work.

I placed it on a stock Rem model7 SS in 7mm SAUM with only a lightened trigget. The rifle was a 1" rifle with all loads so i fitted one near the stock and the groups were worse so i mooved it 1/2" from the muzzle and now it shoots 3/8" groups i was amased. now if you have a worn out rifle it will not help anything but with a new quality rifle it will help to reduce groups. I havd helped with a barrel tuner design that we use for long range target shooting by winding it in and out on the thread i can open my groups from 2 1/2" at 300 yards to .320 5 shot groups repeatably. So by changing the dynamics of the barrel with weight and tension the groups can be reduced in size. However in an old worn out barrel full of pitting and no rifling left nothing will help without a rebarrel. By the way the stock was hitting the fore end and this rifle will shoot 40 shots and be red hot then place a 3/8-1/2" group at 100 red hot i dont reccomend this as it wears the barrel faster but it was tried and it is consistant. I havs now bedded the rifle and the deresornat\or is still there as it absorbs vibrations and does help.

Cheers Bill
Australia
Old 06-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

I have had one for 6 months. Never opened the packaging.