Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Barrel Cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 05:17 PM

Barrel Cleaning

I would guess we all enjoy shooting much more than cleaning. I would like to know how many rounds some of you guys shoot through your rifles before you clean the barrel ? I try to clean every 10 to 15 rounds. Is that good/bad?...........
Old 05-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

After barrel break-in, I shoot until groups start to open which is maybe 40 rounds, and that's dependant on which rifle as well. My police barrel can take about 60 before it needs a cleaning. I don't baby it, I practice a lot and cleaning every few rounds gets in the way. If groups don't open up, I say keep shooting unless you have a really nice barrel and want to have more peace of mind by taking better care of it. The more important thing is to watch barrel heat, that's one area I don't overly abuse.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

If you use a lapped barrel or a well broken in factory tube 10-15 rounds between cleaning is way to often. I have gone as high as 80 rounds in many factory and custom guns that were broke in, I cleaned them out of quilt not because they were losing accuracy. In my AR I have gone over 300 without cleaning. With new tubes I clean more frequent for the first 50 rounds.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Bronze Member

Cowboy ? on storeage

Cowboy if you are going that many shoots between cleaning what are you doing between shooting sessions? Leaving the bore fouled, or running a patch with kroil or oil down till you shoot again. Given are humid weather if you are leaving the bore fouled have you noticed any problems. I just picked up a bore scope to start to watch this. I had been cleaning after every session but some guns take to many rounds to settle back in. Thanks Dave
Old 05-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Cleaning is a guessing game unless you have a bore scope period. may people think a tube is clean until the scope shows then the carbon and copper fouling that exists esp in rough factory tubes. Had a guy next to me at a match in Missouri last weekend that was cleaning and cleaning and finally got a patch out that was almost white. I asked if he wanted to scope it to be sure and he said it was clean so the long story short we scoped it and his jar hit the ground. Had a good carbon ring and still a lot of carbon build up at the base of the lands. He had some JB paste and went to work with it on a jag----told him that that would not get it out. Once again out with the scope and his jaw hit the ground --- let his use one of my Iosso brushes and he did it right and 5 minutes later a clean barrel!!! It was all worth it at the end of the matches and I got my certificate and was walking back to my truck to drive back to Texas he stuck his hand out and said” I really thank you for taking the time to show me what you did”!

The advantage to having a BS is that you know how much and what type of cleaning to do. Best equipment investment that I have made in this sport.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:29 PM
SPONSOR

BH,
Comments like yours have been working on me hard-I know I need to get one...
Old 05-02-2008, 05:27 PM
SPONSOR

In 1000 yard benchrest at Williamsport PA most competitors would fire approxmately 5-10 rounds for sighters and 10 record rounds for a total of approximately 20 rounds at most. Almost everyone cleaned their rifles before they shot again, especially if they made the shoot off. Then came the 6.5-.284 which seems to like to shoot dirty. I go 100 rounds before pushing anything down the barrel, and only clean then because I feel guilty it's dirty. Once I clean though it takes about 10 fouler rounds to get it to settle in, then it's good to go, even from a cold bore. All my other calibers I try not to go more than 20-25 rounds between cleaning, and like Sniper said watch the heat build up.

www.mcrifles.com

Last edited by Kevin Cram; 05-02-2008 at 05:38 PM.