Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Barrel break in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 PM

Barrel break in

I have a new .30-06 with a Brux barrel. I notice after I clean the barrel with wipe out it takes 8 shots to get back to decent groups (1/2 MOA). Is this normal?

Also, how many shots before you would consider a barrel broke in? Mine has about 80 down it now.

Lastly, after break in how many shots before cleaning barrel? My zero changes slightly after cleaning so I am wondering if I can shot maybe 50 times before cleaning now...

Thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel break in

I've never used wipe out. I use amonia based solvents, followed by an oiled patch, followed by two dry patches. Seems all my barrels are a bit different. After my routine, things settle down with one to three foulers. Eight seems a lot.

Most barrels break in very quickly, five to twenty rounds. The most recent took five rounds, then started pounding them into the same hole. Some show marked improvement after you run a hundred rounds through them.

I typically run 40 - 60 rounds between cleaning. They'll tell you when they need to be cleaned.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
I've never used wipe out. I use amonia based solvents, followed by an oiled patch, followed by two dry patches. Seems all my barrels are a bit different. After my routine, things settle down with one to three foulers. Eight seems a lot.

Most barrels break in very quickly, five to twenty rounds. The most recent took five rounds, then started pounding them into the same hole. Some show marked improvement after you run a hundred rounds through them.

I typically run 40 - 60 rounds between cleaning. They'll tell you when they need to be cleaned.
I do use wipeout and love the stuff. I agree with the above. 8 rounds sounds like a lot but my 7 mag takes about that to settle as well. Most rifles not so much.
They will tell you when they need cleaned.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

I usually shoot 5 to foul out my barrel. They will hit POI w/ a clean bore, but won't group as tightly until 5rnds. After that, I will go 75-100rnd between cleanings, unless I am changing powders. I try to have a clean bore between powders.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Bronze Member

Wow am i doing this wrong ? I clean after every 5 shots with 1 fowling shot fired to start. I guess this is not necessary?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 PM

I don't believe it's necessary. I have run my 260 over 150 rounds without cleaning and it still shoots in the 3s.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Enzo,
For a break in, I shoot 5 and clean between each. The biggest part is being sure to get all the copper out. Then I go to 2shots for a series of 5 (10 total shots), then I got to 3shots for 5 (15rnds total), then 5shots for 5 (25 total shots). Then I start with load development and going to 50-100 rnds between cleanings.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!