Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

barrel break-in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Bronze Member

barrel break-in

Hey,
I was just wondering, would it be completely pointless to complete a barrel break in after shooting 20 or so rounds through an otherwise brand new rifle?

Old 10-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: barrel break-in

I dont think so. Im sure youd have better success on a new one, but you may as well do it right just incase, it may give you peace of mind if nothing else.
Just keep er' cool, and keep er' clean, and pay attention to your patches so you can see if youve reduced the ammount of fouling or if you have more work to do.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 10-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

If I'm understanding the question correctly, 20 rounds have been through the rifle without a break-in process and you are wondering if you should go through the procedure now? Is this correct?
Old 10-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Just clean it real good from the breach end after every shooting outing with a good copper cleaner. You are not breaking in the barrel you are burnishing the tool marks just ahead of the chamber. Use Barns CR-10 or WipeOut. Do not use a copper brush when doing this because you will eat up the copper brush and or jag. Use a steel patch holder with a patch. If your rod has brass fittings on it clean the rod immediately. Follow the directions on the can or bottle which ever product you use and you will be good to go. Follow up with JB Bore Paste and JB Bore shine. You may notice that when your rifle is broke in your groups will suddenly and mysteriously tighten up.

Cheers & Tighter groups: Eaglesnester

Last edited by eaglesnester; 10-15-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesnester View Post
Just clean it real good from the breach end after every shooting outing with a good copper cleaner. You are not breaking in the barrel you are burnishing the tool marks just ahead of the chamber. Use Barns CR-10 or WipeOut. Do not use a copper brush when doing this because you will eat up the copper brush and or jag. Use a steel patch holder with a patch. If your rod has brass fittings on it clean the rod immediately. Follow the directions on the can or bottle which ever product you use and you will be good to go. Follow up with JB Bore Paste and JB Bore shine. You may notice that when your rifle is broke in your groups will suddenly and mysteriously tighten up.

Cheers & Tighter groups: Eaglesnester
thanks EN!
Old 10-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
If I'm understanding the question correctly, 20 rounds have been through the rifle without a break-in process and you are wondering if you should go through the procedure now? Is this correct?
yep, that is correct
Old 10-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hunt guy View Post
yep, that is correct
I think that it is pointless after 20 rounds have been through it. The purpose of break-in, if in fact this does indeed do something, must be done properly from the beginning, which is really impossible with factory rifles anyway since they test fire roughly 2-3 rounds before it is boxed.