Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

To barrel block or not to barrel block

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 09:12 PM

Re: To barrel block or not to barrel block

yeah I was thinking two piece because of rebarreling too, and with all the info I could find most choose the two because of the simple fact its easier
Old 01-15-2007, 09:16 PM

I was looking at Baer's Site and he has a really nice 9 inch torx clamp block
Old 01-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

are you building a carry type rifle or a bench gun. reason i ask is a 2 pc clamp style is going to be steel and it makes the stock very wide in this section. i've never seen a clamp style used on a hunting gun unless it's a big mo-fo.i built a carry gun with a block this year but i used a 1 piece glue on.in my opinion a block does everything to help the accuracy.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:08 AM

its going to be a bench gun only, how hard would you say it is to change barrels with a one piece vs a two piece ??
Old 01-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Silver Member

2003 LG winner in Iowa was a self-built ( not me, now) stocker who used a vented 2 pc aluminum barrel block. That design is now under production review by Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool And Gauge, www.pacifictoolandgauge.com. The mounting means are many including bedding the lower half allowing for fast action and or barrel changes. I have one on a tac carry rifle. These will adapt nicely to the Joel Russo modified A-5L stock shown elsewhere on this forum. Overbore
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

I'm not a gunsmith but, I do play one at home and I am in the process of stocking and reblocking a big old target rifle I aquired. Probably built in the early 80's. I weighed 58lbs when I started and had a 3.5 in by 3.5 in steel block in a wood stock. I am changing the block to alunimum and the stock to sythetic hooking the block to the aluminum frame in the stock. When I build another block it will be one piece insted of two. I am not forsure about the accuracy of the rig in two vs one but I can tell you it would be a whole lot easier to fabricate if it only had one slit down one side. Then just drill and tap the one side for the clamping function. If you gonna buy get two. Will let you change the whole rig if you ever want to.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Gold Member

I like the 1 pc block Bruce has. When I need to take out the barrel I just heat it up on my stove to break the glue loose. Then I have a 1.5" hole in my bench I put the barrel in and like a slide hammer pull the barrel off the block.