Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

barr and stroud rangefinder "zero"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2001, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: barr and stroud rangefinder "zero"

Hello

If the range starts out at 500 yards and goes to 20,000yards it is the Md 500.

If it starts out at 250 yards it is the md 250.

They shouldn't change on you but, if they do it's an easy procedure to fix if you have a known distance.

The 500 is the more accurate at longer distance then the 250 because there are more yardage spaceing marks at the longer ranges. Instead of it reading every 25 yards (the md 250) past 1000 yards it's every 10 yards in the Md 500.

Now you will know your range for sure.

Have fun

DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-04-2001, 11:46 PM

barr and stroud rangefinder "zero"

my buddy and i picked one of these for each of us.i'm almost sure the model is 500.i heard the zero or range will change from summer to winter,is this true?they seem like good pieces.jason
Old 06-15-2001, 09:41 PM

I have both a Barr & Stroud and a Wild optical coincident range-finders, and I've found that it's very easy (and mandatory) to zero them from time to time. Just a few weeks back, I zeroed the Barr & Stroud by setting it on a tripod, carefully aligning the two images of Venus, and setting the range dial to infinity. The moon, the North Star, even a far-away con trail is handy for this. (The North Star is what I use to set my pocket transit to true North.)

Also handy are the power poles and the reflector posts along the highway. Count the number in a measured mile or two, to establish the distance from one to the next. Then set up next to one and zero on at least one, as far away as you can see it with all the intervening ones in sight (so you can count them without missing any, to get the total distance).

Changing zeros from season to season or even from week to week should never be a problem. Checking and resetting zeros is just too easy to be a problem or to disregard.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:49 AM
Silver Member

so how do you calibrate the wild rangefinder.i did it by the moon.there was very little effect by turning the adjustment wheel.it does not seem like you could get it way out of calibration.its hard to find a flat spot of say 400 yards where i live here in bluefield va ,thanks,keith