Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Barr & Stroud Rangefinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2006, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barr & Stroud Rangefinder

I have a Wild , I'm assuming they are the same.

How accurate are they really?
Dead nuts. But it gets tougher the farther you go out. (less resolution of the hash marks) Still I trust it more than any laser past 1K or through brush and trees. I have verifed mine out to 1350 using rangefinder and surveyors prism.

Any tips you might have for using one?
Have the most precise person with you do the ranging. If he has ever said "That's close enough", he ain't the guy.

Adjust the edge of the inverted image to exactly touch/mirror/dissect the straight up image.
I close the eye displaying the range and then align the smallest item that you can clearly see at the range. Pick a odd color leaf, Woodchuck head (my favorite), small flower, deer leg etc, rather than a big tree or something that seems easy. When I got it right I open my other eye and go click it in.

Range from farther than target and then from closer than target. If you get different readings always adjust from one way consistently to eliminate backlash error. Oddly I haven't noticed any with mine.

Shummy
Old 08-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Silver Member

I calibrated my wild to my laser range finder @ 300 mtrs.

It holds within 2-5 mtrs at all ranges the lrf1200 can manage (900 mtrs with my wobbly aiming).

It is still good at 1650mtrs if goggle earth is to be trusted?
That was a reading to the furthest house I can see from my garden and using the measuring feature on the goggle program.

From a field on the farm I ranged a TV mast @ 13600mtrs goggle says it is @ 11600mtrs! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Unfortunately haven't yet done anything in between

I have read about others on here using them at the 2000mtr mark with good success
Old 08-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

sportsman guide at www.sportsmanguide.com just got a shipment of the BS rangefinders from England. They are in "brand new, never been issued condition" They are $299 Buyers club price and $349.95 (costs $25 to join the buyers club) Item # JX6K-101355

That is as good a deal as you will ever see on them. If you want one, better jump on them. First time I have ever seen unissued ones for sale.

BH
Old 08-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Gold Member

I agree with hoytemanPA
good post
UB
Old 08-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

these things are around 3 ft long. how much do they actually weigh and are these calibrated in metric or english. i know it's been posted before but i get the wild and the B and S mixed up.i would assume the units being sold in sportsmans guide are made for the english, maybe they're English, or is that being a bit too logical?