Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ballistics Software Comparison

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Silver Member

Re: Ballistics Software Comparison

I probably won't be able to tell. I was real pleased with how well each software performed. Just think it will be neat to do further comparisons with real data. Each one produced very similar results.

I had always wondered how different each software was... Now I know. They are not very different.

DoubleG

(Somehow this post got placed in front of my original post??? Not sure how I managed to do that... Weird)

Last edited by DoubleGobble00; 07-01-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Silver Member

Ballistics Software Comparison

Just out of curiousity... I ran Exbal, Ballistics, Bulletflight, and JBM for a quick side by side comparison in Excel. All the input for each model (wind, temp, humidity, etc) were all the same and is shown at the top. Below is a screen shot of the results. I thought yall find it interesting also.

Now that I have the comparison.. I need to get out and shoot to see which one matches my actual drop chart the best.

DoubleG
Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

How will you tell which one matches the best? The extreme difference is only .6 moa at 1000yds and .25moa at 500yds?

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

To me, the biggie isn't so much what the chart tells you, that can be adjusted by changing the B.C. of the bullet in the program, but the ability to sight in at 500' altitude 45% humidity etc and then go to 7500' and 20% humidity and have the program give you adjustments based on your actual zero. The Night Force program will do exactly that from a pocket PC platform and I love the thing!
Coyoter
Old 07-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Bronze Member

Coyoter, I have purchased the Night Force ballistic targetting software and am running it on a Palm pilot. I have been having trouble getting it to track accurately through out the complete range (100 yd zero to 1500 yds) I am shooting. It will be on at one range and then be off at another in the same atmospheric conditions. I would like to know if you would take the time and share the exact steps you took in setting the progam up and what adjustments to B.C,sight above bore,velocity,zero point,turret click value,using just atmospheric pressure and no elevation reading and so on you may have had to take in getting yours to track accurately. I would greatly appreciate your experience and knowledge in this. Thanks, robinstan in Idaho
Old 07-06-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinstan View Post
Coyoter, I have purchased the Night Force ballistic targetting software and am running it on a Palm pilot. I have been having trouble getting it to track accurately through out the complete range (100 yd zero to 1500 yds) I am shooting. It will be on at one range and then be off at another in the same atmospheric conditions. I would like to know if you would take the time and share the exact steps you took in setting the progam up and what adjustments to B.C,sight above bore,velocity,zero point,turret click value,using just atmospheric pressure and no elevation reading and so on you may have had to take in getting yours to track accurately. I would greatly appreciate your experience and knowledge in this. Thanks, robinstan in Idaho
Are you only using a G1 BC? If so you might want to try a different drag model, i.e...G5, G7. The standard G1 doesn't fit every bullet which is possibly why you are on at one range and off at another.

Keep in mind that the value of the BC will be different for each drag model. If you do a search here I'm sure you can find enough info to get you in the ballpark. Just my $0.02.

Good luck.

-John

Last edited by zunrj5; 07-06-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Silver Member

This is great information thanks for sharing it. How much these programs cost i have been using the free one form best of the west. But dont know which one it is.