Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ballistics Question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Bronze Member

Ballistics Question?

Ok Im not sure if anyone can give me an exact answer but can anyone tell me approximately what kind of trajectory I would have with my specific set up? Ive got a pre-accutrigger Savage 10fp .223 with a 26" barrel and Im shooting Blackhills ammo through it. Ive got the best groups with the 68g moly match hollow points the box claims 2850fps, but a buddy of mine borrowed the rifle for his last prairie dog outing and gave me a few hundred rounds of the 60g moly V-MAX that he had left that box claims 3150fps. So I guess what Im asking is can anyone tell me how these loads "should" shoot out of this gun @100, 300, 400yds with a 200yd zero? Ive had what I consider amazing groups with the 68g but am almost but and since ive got 350 or so of the 60g vmax then Id really like to know how this bullet should perform so I can go burn up the free stuff on crows, yotes, and just plinkin fun?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ballistics Question?

I think the best thing you can do for yourself is to buy a chronograph. You don't need to get the top end modles..... "Chrony" brand makes pretty good units. Then you will KNOW what velocitys YOUR gun gets with what ever you are shooting. Then you can ask us how the bullets act down range based on actual velocitys. Or, you can also buy some balistic software and be able to answer your own questions.

Then, you will want to buy a .............

It's a vicious cycle!!!!!!!!!$$$$
Old 02-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
I think the best thing you can do for yourself is to buy a chronograph. You don't need to get the top end modles..... "Chrony" brand makes pretty good units. Then you will KNOW what velocitys YOUR gun gets with what ever you are shooting. Then you can ask us how the bullets act down range based on actual velocitys. Or, you can also buy some balistic software and be able to answer your own questions.

Then, you will want to buy a .............

It's a vicious cycle!!!!!!!!!$$$$

Isn't that the truth!

once you know what your velocity is than you can simply use a balistic program like JBM - Calculations - Trajectory
Old 02-03-2009, 01:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeier1981 View Post
Ok Im not sure if anyone can give me an exact answer but can anyone tell me approximately what kind of trajectory I would have with my specific set up? Ive got a pre-accutrigger Savage 10fp .223 with a 26" barrel and Im shooting Blackhills ammo through it. Ive got the best groups with the 68g moly match hollow points the box claims 2850fps, but a buddy of mine borrowed the rifle for his last prairie dog outing and gave me a few hundred rounds of the 60g moly V-MAX that he had left that box claims 3150fps. So I guess what Im asking is can anyone tell me how these loads "should" shoot out of this gun @100, 300, 400yds with a 200yd zero? Ive had what I consider amazing groups with the 68g but am almost but and since ive got 350 or so of the 60g vmax then Id really like to know how this bullet should perform so I can go burn up the free stuff on crows, yotes, and just plinkin fun?
I would check a few of the reloading sites online with their posted fps based on a barrel length and twist similar to yours. And please keep in mind that some chronographs are a little "nice" in their posted fps.

In the end, just buy yourself a chronograph and test for yourself. Plug your numbers into your ballistics software of choice and see if you are close to the projections.

If you have some numbers and want to PM me....I'll throw them into the software I use and let you know the results.

Take care,

TXLongrange