Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ballistic software and effectiveness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Bronze Member

Ballistic software and effectiveness

Im looking to see what programs everyone is using and how they like them? Any input is helpful! I'm also looking for somewhere to buy a complete set up.

My other question is How much does temperature affect the shot. Reason being I went and shot my 338 Lupua at 600 yards and figured 8.5 MOA put me on target and I shot a 1/2 MOA in 75 to 80 degree weather. But just two days ago I went and shot at 600 yards in 45 to 50 degree weather and I needed 13 MOA to get on target.

Will a ballistic program help me with this problem.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ballistic software and effectiveness

I have exbal, It takes the temperature as well as the altitude and humidity. It has worked very well and helped me connect on the longest shot I've ever attemped.
Perry-Systems - Ballistic Calculator Software
Old 01-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

If you input accurate info, it will output scary accurate info. You need accurate velocity, temperature, barometric pressure and humidity and drag model with appropriate BC, scope hight, zero range ect...... All these need to be very accurate to receive accurate results.

Now, 4.5 MOA of difference at 600 yards from one day to the next in even your extreeme temp change is a way more than normal. With a loss of 100 FPS from colder temps, which is WAY overkill AND the denser air combined, you should not be any more than 1.0 MOA difference between 80 degrees and 50 degrees at 600 yards. In short, NO, ballistic software will not help this issue. It can and will help you with many issues but not the issue of 4.5 MOA at 600 yards. First make sure your scope is set right and that you didnt miscalculate something. Once you figure all that out, then the software can help you better.

You asked how much temperature affects the shot. An example would be using your rig with a 225 accubond at 3000 FPS with a 250 yard zero gives you a drop of 8.75 MOA at 600 yards near sea level in 80 degree air. Change nothing but temp to 50 degrees and it 8.95. So 0.2 MOA for 30 degrees at 600 yards. Now at 1K it changes exactly 1.0 MOA. Barometric pressure has a big affect as well but still, 4.5 MOA difference at 600 yards is something else.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Last edited by Michael Eichele; 01-13-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Platinum Member

4.5 moa at 600 would take a whole bunch or radical changes. Extreme differences in conditions and incline.

Sounds like you have another issue of some sort. Unless there's a bunch of info you're not telling us.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry guys,
I guess I needed to say that I don't have a ballistic program now and need one. I was using data from my friends program when I shot at his house in Mississippi the first time I shot my rifle at 600. This time I was shooting in south Louisiana and the temp was colder. So I guess things did change a good bit. Could that combination of colder temp and altitude make that much of a difference? I guess I'm still not understanding how? I really need to know who has a good program and PDA combination that I can buy or know somewhere I can buy all the things that I would need.
I have a kestrel 4500 and I think all the other information that I would need to input into a program. I guess I need to also maybe get a log book and start keeping up with everytime I shoot and the condidtions.
Thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

4.5 MOA is WAYYY out of bounds for just a slight temp or slight elevation change. Since you shot at 2 different locations, did you use exactly the same type bench, rest etc.? Maybe you used a harder (bouncier) front rest at one of the locations?

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
4.5 MOA is WAYYY out of bounds for just a slight temp or slight elevation change. Since you shot at 2 different locations, did you use exactly the same type bench, rest etc.? Maybe you used a harder (bouncier) front rest at one of the locations?

AJ

Great Point! I have seen this my self when I had a 1" foam pad under the back of the stock. Group returned to normal elevation when pad was removed.

Jeff